Conquer Club

The Great War

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:10 pm

Launching tomorrow, a new tournament by McShanester29:
show: Artois
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:48 pm

A few things to announce today.

First, the Capture of Amara tournament begins today:
show: capture of amara june 21st to 28th

Second, I did a bit of analysis today on what game types we've been using in these tourneys:
show: game type analysis

Third, today I was able to award a General Achievement medal to asimpson23 "For gathering the staggering number of 562 Great War Cannon tokens in the Great War mega-event, more than twice as many as any other player." Cannons don't actually have a point value, so asimpson has now fallen off the bottom of the Great War scoreboard, but I thought that his remarkeable achievement should be commemorated in some way, a GA medal has been issued.

Congratulations asimpson23!!!
=D>

Fourth, later tonight, if I manage to finish it, I should have another Great War autotournament, this time marking the Battle of Festubert. If not tonight, maybe tomorrow. Festubert will be a one-time only tournament. In other words, it will not re-iterate (launch multiple copies of itself.) You will have one chance only to join Festubert.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:04 pm

The battle of Festubert is a single-instance tournament. In other words, it will not re-iterate (make a fresh copy of itself when it fills) like other autotournaments in the Great War event do. Thus, if you want to participate in the Festubert tournament, you must join this one-and-only iteration.

The special thing about this tournament is this: it is essentially a Part 2 to the battle of Artois, which we launched a few days ago. Festubert proceeds from Artois so directly that I wondered if it even should get its own tournament. In the end, I decided it should. Now, as a result of the intimate connection between them, there will be a special reward. If you make it to the final round of both Artois and Festubert, you will get a General Achievement medal in addition to any other prizes that you win as a result. That means, obviously, that you must play in both, so in addition to joining Festubert, make sure you have joined Artois. The latter is a regular re-iterating tournament that will re-iterate until June 24th, so you still have time.

Because of its special status, Festubert costs 4 tokens to enter plus 20 drab stars.

show: festubert launch june 22 one iteration only

NOTA BENE: This tournament is listed as starting on June 22nd, but it might not launch until tomorrow. I am racing to finish coding it and get it launched before midnight, but I could still fail.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:07 pm

REAL-TIME DAY

PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US!

Today is a day we have worked long and hard to reach. Since the beginning of this event, it was our intention that each autotournament commemorating a Great War battle should come out on the 100th anniversary of the battle. Since we are living out the 100th anniversary of the Great War, this is an ongoing process. Almost every day for the last 11 months and for the next 39 months is the 100th anniversary of some event significant in unfolding of World War I, some battle, or treaty, or political upheaval, or technological development.

Still, in the early going we found it was difficult to keep to the schedule. First off, due to the planning uncertainties, we started this event six weeks late. More importantly, though, the first year of the war was just SO INCREDIBLY EVENTFUL! There were just so many battles and significant events that we just couldn't keep up. We kept trying to make up time, but instead of getting ahead we fell further behind. Then, through the winter, I was buried with work in R/L and didn't have the time to keep this event going at the pace that I should have, and starting from 6 weeks behind, by March we were 10 weeks behind.

Then, in April, we finally started to gain ground. With Worldwide Warfare Week, seven new tournaments in seven days, we finally began our grand assault on the backlog of battles. Since Worldwide Warfare Week, we have kept our nose to the grindstone, cranking out two or three new tournaments every week, and finally, we are here. REAL-TIME DAY. It is here. Today, we launched a tournament commemorating the First Battle of Isonzo on the actual 100th anniversary of the First Battle of Isonzo.

show: First Battle of Isonzo june 23 to 30

The great backlog is behind us now. That wild and crazy first year of the war is over. The War will go on for another 39 months, but from here on in new battles are not so frequent. More of the front remains stable, and the Great Powers gather their strength slowly and methodically for each new challenge. From here on in, all our new autotournaments will come out, as originally planned, on the 100th anniversary of the battle or event they commemorate.

Please raise a glass and help us celebrate this moment!

Now, some thank-you's. First of all, bigWham. Over 200 iterations of 65 unique tournament templates, something close to 6000 total player entries, including something in the neighbourhood of 1000 unique players. And we're not even one full year in yet! This is a logistical task that would be utterly impossible with manual tournaments. It is often-maligned autotournament engine that makes a massive event like this possible. Throughout this event bigWham has been tireless in supporting us, helping with the coding of tournaments, and fixing mistakes in the ones that I screwed up the coding on. Even when I would send a panicky message saying, "I screwed up the code in tournament x and you have to fix it right now!" he would just cheerfully go in and fix it and not demand that I commit seppuku for my stupidity!

The autotournament engine continues to evolve. It is not perfect. Is anything? But bigWham continues to improve it, one little tweak at a time, and with each passing month we find new things that can be done to make autotournaments more interesting despite the inherent limitations. It is still a blunt instrument, but with each pass over the grindstone it gets a little sharper, and one day this cudgel will be a katana! For the autotournament engine and it's continual evolution, thank you BW!

Second, and at the risk of sounding sycophantic, I simply must say it, is bigWham again. I asked him to provide some extra prizes for the Isonzo tournament to help celebrate this moment, and look what he put in! A blue star and 500 creds for the winner, plus yellow stars for 2nd and 3rd. Far more than what I would have dared to suggest! I was stupefied when I saw that! Thank you a second time, BW!

Next, a big thank-you to DoomYoshi, who started this event with me, is the second-most prolific writer of new tournaments, and provides a lot of general guidance and wisdom. DoomYoshi continues to evolve as a tournament writer, and if you take time to read the Angola tournament or especially Dogger Bank, in detail, you'll see what I mean. Thank you Doom for all you do!

I would like to thank the other tournament writers who have contributed tournaments to the collection: JamesKer1, mcShanester29, Gabriel13, takman2k, robellis00 who produced the winning entry in the Bolimov contest, and last but certainly not least the newest member of our team, waauw who may be a recent addition but has already written six tournaments in the Great War series! A special thank-you to sempaispellcheck for proofreading and general commentary. Finally, I need to thank Razorvich, who suggested the ANZAC DAY tournament, and ran the live-chat event marking Anzac Day on the site.

I would like to thank people who have spoken up in this thread, both with compliments and with criticisms, because both are helpful. In this category certainly Shoop76 and Stealth99 are the standouts, but there are many others. Even ConfederateSS, whose stinging criticism helped me push the team along in the beginning when it seemed the preliminary planning would take forever.

Above all, I need to thank the players, who have made this tournament series into the massive success that it is!

A big, massive, STUPENDOUS 'THANK YOU!' to all of you.

=D> =D> =D>

This is already the biggest event CC has ever run, and there is much, much more to come!

This Saturday, June 27th, will be the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Nasiriyeh. We will mark this by for the first time attempting to run a group of speed tournaments in this series. Stay tuned for more details, and try to set aside some time on Saturday for some speed games!

Sunday, June 28th, will be the 100th anniversary of the bloodbath in Gallipoli's Gully Ravine. This will be waauw's seventh tournament, and he promised to make it something really special. Stay tuned!

Also on Sunday, I will be making an announcement about some prizes! Oh, yeah, wait for it....:)

And then, the guns will go strangely quiet for a while. It will be All Quiet on the Western Front, and on the Eastern Front, and on the Mesopotamian Front, and in fact everywhere except Gallipoli and Italy. July 1915 was a really quiet month in World War I, and those of you who have been struggling with a massive game load as a result of trying to keep up with all these tournaments will finally get some relief. There may only be two or three new tournaments in July. In August things will pick up a bit once again, but never again will you see the frenetic pace that we have been keeping up from April to June. We are in Real Time now, well, Real Time +100 Years, anyway, and I am very relieved to finally be here!
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

REAL-TIME DAY

Postby stealth99 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:32 am

Wow, very well written dk; it was a nice read. Holy crap, too much stuff to comment on. Where do i start.

Thanks guys (all the people dk said). Cause it's a lot of fun. I keep running into the same ugly repeat faces too, so i'm not the only one having fun.

CONGRATULATIONS CC; freaking awesome =D>

Just one suggestion - come up with a tourney that will enable me to bomb shoops war medals. He got too many.
Sorry, I've had to suspend my campaigns indefinitely.
Cook stealth99

Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada......oldest and most easterly city in north america

Postby waauw on Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:57 pm

Great job so far dukkie!
Lieutenant waauw

Postby shoop76 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:14 pm

I agree, its been a great event and I appreciate all the hard work being put in. I have been critical at times and even threatened to quit, especially when my game count got to 250, but this is one of the best organized events that I have seen on cc in a while.

Stealth, I skipped quite a few of the recent tournaments in order to save my sanity, so there is a chance to do some catch up, though I will gain a very cheap medal here, http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=autotournament&tourney_id=12351. In the final round the top 2 were paired against each other and I was paired to a deadbeat.
Sergeant 1st Class shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby sm8900 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:40 pm

sounds cool! thanks for posting these updates.
Private sm8900

Postby Hamalech on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Congratulations to every of the organizers and collaborators for the effort put in these really big challenge. It's been a very top standing series of tournaments! And what is coming is promising! If you just keep at half the level, it would be memorable! And of course, thanks!
Captain Hamalech

Postby MaximusSkywalker on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:22 pm

Can I join?
Cook MaximusSkywalker

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:43 am

MaximusSkywalker wrote:Can I join?

Yes. Great War autotournaments are listed at the top of you Central Command page.

Go to Central Command (the old "My Games" page), click on the Great War box at the top, and any current tourneys become visible. Then you click on each one to read the brief description and there is a Join link in the bottom right.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:21 am

Today for the first time we will have speed games within the Great War event.

I have prepared 3 little speed tournaments with the same maps and similar settings.
http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=autotournament&tournament_id=2893
http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=autotournament&tournament_id=2894
http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=autotournament&tournament_id=2895

All rounds of all three tournaments are 2-minute Automatic, Sequential, with random Sun/Fog, No Trench, and a 20-round limit. Spoils and game type are as follows.

1. Tournament 1: Assassin.
      1 round of four X 8-player games, spoils randomly escalating, nuclear, flat
      4 players eliminated, score resets
      1 round of four X 4-player Assassin games, same settings

2. Tournament two is an 8-player Poly elimination bracket, Premium only
      round 1 Poly Dubs, escalating
      round 2 Poly Trips, flat rate
      round 3 Poly Quads, no spoils
    This is a single-elimination bracket.

3. Tournament three is an 8-player 1v1 bracket with freemiums welcome
      round 1 escalating
      round 2 nuclear
      round 3 escalating
      round 4 nuclear
      round 5 flat rate
    Rounds 1 and 2 are straight eliminations. Rounds 3 to 5 are cumulative contest between the final two players

All rounds of all tournaments use a random pick from the seven maps we have that depict Mesopotamia:
Gilgamesh -- representing the legendary warrior who fought in these lands in ancient times
Alexander's Empire -- one of many conquerors whose ruled this area
WWI Ottoman -- representing the Ottoman Empire that ruled the land before the Great War
Eastern Hemisphere -- representing the British (and French) empires that seized it from the Turks
Indian Empire -- the neighbouring great land where the British replenished their power
Middle East -- an overview map
Battle for Iraq -- the most recent bloodbath fought over the land between the waters

For a description of the R/L Battle of Nasiriyeh:
show: battles of nasiriyeh speed tourneys june 27th and 28th

This event will run until 23:59 on Sunday, June 28th.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby t4mcr53s2 on Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:56 pm

congratu;lations to Duk and the team; what a gift!
I wish either my father or my mother, or indeed both of them as they were in duty both equally bound to it, had minded what they were about when....

If 2 player fog game,please allow 12 hour snap courtesy, or post what I could have seen.... Thank you
General t4mcr53s2

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:06 pm

The five-round Assassin games were taking too long to play. Made a change on the fly and changed the Assassin to 2 rounds. This won't have any impact on tourneys already launched, but it will take effect with the next Assassin tourney.

Dukasaur wrote:Today for the first time we will have speed games within the Great War event.

I have prepared 3 little speed tournaments with the same maps and similar settings.
http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=autotournament&tournament_id=2893
http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=autotournament&tournament_id=2894
http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=autotournament&tournament_id=2895

All rounds of all three tournaments are 2-minute Automatic, Sequential, with random Sun/Fog, No Trench, and a 20-round limit. Spoils and game type are as follows.

1. Tournament 1: Assassin.
      1 round of four X 8-player games, spoils randomly escalating, nuclear, flat
      4 players eliminated, score resets
      1 round of four X 4-player Assassin games, same settings

2. Tournament two is an 8-player Poly elimination bracket, Premium only
      round 1 Poly Dubs, escalating
      round 2 Poly Trips, flat rate
      round 3 Poly Quads, no spoils
    This is a single-elimination bracket.

3. Tournament three is an 8-player 1v1 bracket with freemiums welcome
      round 1 escalating
      round 2 nuclear
      round 3 escalating
      round 4 nuclear
      round 5 flat rate
    Rounds 1 and 2 are straight eliminations. Rounds 3 to 5 are cumulative contest between the final two players

All rounds of all tournaments use a random pick from the seven maps we have that depict Mesopotamia:
Gilgamesh -- representing the legendary warrior who fought in these lands in ancient times
Alexander's Empire -- one of many conquerors whose ruled this area
WWI Ottoman -- representing the Ottoman Empire that ruled the land before the Great War
Eastern Hemisphere -- representing the British (and French) empires that seized it from the Turks
Indian Empire -- the neighbouring great land where the British replenished their power
Middle East -- an overview map
Battle for Iraq -- the most recent bloodbath fought over the land between the waters

For a description of the R/L Battle of Nasiriyeh:

This event will run until 23:59 on Sunday, June 28th.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:33 am

So, for some time we have been talking about some major prizes for people on the Great War scoreboard. Today we will commemorate some of our great winners.

Going forward, we will give 1 Green and 1 Blue every quarter.

The Quarterly Green: Will be given to the player at the top of the scoreboard at the end of each quarter. However, the same player can only get it once per year. Thus, if the player on the top of the scoreboard already got one within the last four quarters, it will go to the 2nd place player. If that player already got one in the last four quarters, it will go to the third place player and so on.

The Quarterly Blue: Will be a "most-improved" star. We'll need a snapshot of the scoreboard at the end of each quarter. The player who moves up the most spaces on the scoreboard will win the Blue. If multiple players all jumped the same number of spaces, the one who began at the highest point in the previous quarter will get the star.

Both the Quarterly Green and the Quarterly Blue will come with a GA medal to commemorate the triumph.

We are also going to do a little catching up, because this is the end of the third quarter of the War and we didn't do anything special at the ends of the first two quarters. The retroactive prizes will not follow the exact rules set above, but they are within the spirit of what we want to achieve.

Three players have held the top spot for significant periods. They will get Green stars and a GA meda. Four other players reached the top spot only momentarily or were only tied for top spot. Those will get Blue stars and a GA.

Green Star Level Long-term dominance of the Great War scoreboard:

Blinkadyblink
=D> =D> =D>

[no avatar]
Ukey
=D> =D> =D>

... and the most dominant player on the Great War scoreboard to date:
shoop76
=D> =D> =D>

Blue Star Level: For short-term or conjoint dominance of the Great War scoreboard:

The first player to score a victory in the Great War...
[no avatar]
-1-1-3-
=D> =D> =D>

iAmCaffeine
=D> =D> =D>

Stealth99
=D> =D> =D>

t4mcr53s2
=D> =D> =D>

Congratulations to all our winners!
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby t4mcr53s2 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:36 pm

now i'm embarrassed that i couldn't figure out how to expand my avatar....
Thanks Duk and Doom Yoshi and BW and the whole team
I wish either my father or my mother, or indeed both of them as they were in duty both equally bound to it, had minded what they were about when....

If 2 player fog game,please allow 12 hour snap courtesy, or post what I could have seen.... Thank you
General t4mcr53s2

Postby -1-1-3- on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:10 am

...and i'm embarassed i did not even send you a mini-picture :)

Thank you Dukasaur. See you all in 3 years... or inbetween.

Special thx to great-ollie for being the first victim in this conflict. I could not have started that war without his first-quality play as franz ferdinand.
Colonel -1-1-3-

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:40 pm

Archive of the autotournaments from March 20th to June 28th, 2015

The third quarter was the biggest and by far the most active thus far.

show: battle of lodz march 20th to 27th

show: Battle of the Bees march 29th to april 5th

show: Givenchy april 1st to april 8th

show: Scarborough and Hartlepool april 8 to april 15

show: Ardahan and Sarikamish april 20th to 27th

show: kolubara and rudnik ridge april 21st to 28th

show: falkland islands april 22nd to 29th

show: battle of bolimov april 23rd to 30th

show: anzac day april 24th to may 1st

show: Qurna april 25th to may 2nd

show: dogger bank april 26th to may 3rd

show: raid on the suez may 3rd to 10th

show: Second Battle of the Masurian Lakes may 5th to 12th

show: initial Dardanelles bombardment may 7th to 14th

show: second siege of przemysl may 12th to 19th

show: angola may 16th to may 23rd

show: neuve-chapelle may 18th to 25th

show: attempt to force the narrows may 20th to 27th

show: togoland campaign may 24th to 31st

show: shaiba may 25th to june 1st

show: second ypres may 28th to june 4th

show: battles of Krithia May 31st to June 7th

show: Eski-Hissarlik june 4th to 11th

show: Kamerun Campaign 1914 part 1

show: gorlice-tarnow june 14th to 21st

show: Artois june 18 to 25th

show: capture of amara june 21st to 28th

show: festubert launch june 22 one iteration only

show: First Battle of Isonzo june 23 to 30

Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:57 pm

In the first three quarters, we have run 240 autotournaments on 68 unique templates.

Thank you all for your support. The first tournament of the fourth quarter is up.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:46 pm

I seem to remember a post saying most of the tourneys would only accept players with less than 5% missed turn rate... Not sure if the number was exactly that, but there is a played in my inital dardnless bombardment tourney named 'koalie' who has apparently missed 85% of his turns on this site. I'm not even sure how its possible to miss 85% of your turns, kinda think its funny. Also I dont mind him in the tourney, he isn't missing turns (although he has been rather mouthy)... I was just trying to rectify my foggy memory of what i read about missed turns, with the shocking stat I found on his page.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:06 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:I seem to remember a post saying most of the tourneys would only accept players with less than 5% missed turn rate... Not sure if the number was exactly that, but there is a played in my inital dardnless bombardment tourney named 'koalie' who has apparently missed 85% of his turns on this site. I'm not even sure how its possible to miss 85% of your turns, kinda think its funny. Also I dont mind him in the tourney, he isn't missing turns (although he has been rather mouthy)... I was just trying to rectify my foggy memory of what i read about missed turns, with the shocking stat I found on his page.

Yeah, Initial Dardanelles was created without an attendance restriction. I don't remember why.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:33 pm

The first iteration of the Battle of Gully Ravine has taken a long time to fill, despite having a huge list of prizes and being given marquee status. Regretfully, I've had to cancel the second iteration.

A new, smaller tournament coming soon.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Keep it up mate, it's appreciated.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:06 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:Keep it up mate, it's appreciated.

Thanks, man. Good to hear!

Launching tomorrow, Achi Baba. This will be a full freemium-vacation tourney, which means freemiums can join even if they do not have the requisite slots available.
show: achi baba july 17th to 24th
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:35 pm

Second Isonzo tournament will be launching soon.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives