Conquer Club

12 Player Games, Invitation Upgrades & More

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 12 Player Games, Invitation Upgrades & More

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Guys, a small issue that needs attention is the XML tool page.
http://www.conquerclub.com/mapmaker/index.php

It now comes up with the 12 player spaces, but the extra colours are not coded in and have to be entered manually for the page to work.

I know it's probably on the drawing board... and thanks for your work. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Flow520 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:37 pm

I noticed a small change.
A player no longer needs to be logged into the site to view a game when accessing it by the game's url.
Example: http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=1
You can test by copying the above link, logging out, and then pasting the above link to your browser.
I'm just wondering if it is intended or a bug.
Major Flow520

Postby blakebowling on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:38 pm

cairnswk wrote:Guys, a small issue that needs attention is the XML tool page.
http://www.conquerclub.com/mapmaker/index.php

It now comes up with the 12 player spaces, but the extra colours are not coded in and have to be entered manually for the page to work.

I know it's probably on the drawing board... and thanks for your work. :)

Fixed. Thanks cairns
Private blakebowling

Postby blakebowling on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Flow520 wrote:I noticed a small change.
A player no longer needs to be logged into the site to view a game when accessing it by the game's url.
Example: http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=1
You can test by copying the above link, logging out, and then pasting the above link to your browser.
I'm just wondering if it is intended or a bug.

This is an intended change.
Private blakebowling

Postby Rodion on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:04 pm

Did green just get darker?
General Rodion

Postby IcePack on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Rodion wrote:Did green just get darker?

Yes.
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby codierose on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:11 pm

has graphics changed on game page
bold spoils for your team
game settings all grouped up under map
highlight around map that changes color
is there anyway to change it back in game settings
Lieutenant codierose

Postby Night Strike on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:38 pm

The separation of the top tabs is not happening on the Forum pages.
Major Night Strike

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:45 pm

sorry guys, but the images on the front page have just tragically deteriorated :(
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Denise on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:35 pm

Wow, 12 player games is an awesome update! Thanks. :)
Major Denise

Postby patrik702 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:26 pm

I apologize if this issue (which I saw yesterday) has been brought up previously as I have not gone through this whole thread.

Tourney invite for two team dubs. I am the first one to select. Now awaiting players. I can click to show reserve for any player including my teammate and it gives me the option to cancel their tourney invite (shows the name too).

IMO, I should not have the option of removing invite(s) from a tourney game I did not create.

Brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department (DORD).

Thank you gents a helluva job! =D>

Happy weekend and an extended weekend for us Yanks! :!:
Last edited by patrik702 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private patrik702

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:41 pm

Exciting times on CC!
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Now that I am home I can fully respond to the issues of why no delay on Freestyle games should happen.

Speed FS:
  • The name says speed freestyle! Not wait 30 seconds for a game to start. It is supposed to be about a quick game.
  • If you force people to wait 30 seconds, they might not have been able to break a bonus they might have been lucky to get otherwise. That is also part of the game.
  • It is freestyle. If you setup the game you know the risk involved with such a game.
  • Basically you are saying that the first player or anybody but the last player can start first. The last player is punished for joining last.
  • Fast games are part of speed freestyle. Some games last 6 seconds and some speed freestyle games go over 12 hours.(Yes I have been in one)
  • For those people who complain about lag, you do not hear them complain if the other person happens to lag a bit. It happens to us all, and generally 30 seconds is not gonna fix it.

Casual FS:
  • A one hour wait for the last to join is not good in an instant everything world. People join freestyle games to play a fast game. They do not want to have wait an hour to make a move.
  • In say an 8 man game, most people who join last will not move first but they should be given the option to do so if they want. They gain nothing by going first, but should be able to play right away if they so choose.
  • If a player joins a 3 man to 7 man game, the same applies. Sometimes in a 3 man game you might get a bonus and having to wait around for an hour to defend it is just not cool. If you get dealt a bonus that is just your luck. People who play casual freestyle know it can happen like that. Just one of the things about freestyle.
  • If you are the 2nd player to join in a 1 vs 1 game you are pretty much letting player 1 go first. Most all times when someone sets up a freestyle 1 vs 1 casual game they are around and waiting to play. They want a quick game. Those who complain that 2nd player has a huge advantage usually do not play these games. I have played tons of these games and the 2nd player does not always have a big advantage or an advantage at all. Now you are just giving it to the 1st player and slowing the game down. Remember Freestyle is a fast paced game. That is why people play it and like it. If you do not want to worry about who goes when then you play sequential.
  • By Adding this hold time you will not get more people playing freestyle, you will in turn get less. The seasoned freestyle vets do not want to wait and the people who already do not like it the pace of the game are not all of a sudden going to play more it, just because of a 1st round hold.

I am glad you are willing to listen and hear us out. As one of the oldest freestyle players I hope you reconsider these holds on games. I hope do you not keep them. Freestyle is about speed, and skill. Taking the 1st round speed away just makes it so much less. On a personal level I really do like all the other updates. They are great. Thanks for the hard work. I hope this new ownership means that paying customers will be heard. With over 3300 freestyle games played I hope my voice would carry a bit more wait than the average joe. Thanks for listening.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby blakebowling on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:25 pm

patrik702 wrote:I apologize if this issue (which I saw yesterday) has been brought up previously as I have not gone through this whole thread.

Tourney invite for two team dubs. I am the first one to select. Now awaiting players. I can click to show reserve for any player including my teammate and it gives me the option to cancel their tourney invite (shows the name too).

IMO, I should not have the option of removing invite(s) from a tourney game I did not create.

Brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department (DORD).

Thank you gents a helluva job! =D>

Happy weekend and an extended weekend for us Yanks! :!:

While the link is visible, clicking it will give you an error message.
Private blakebowling

Postby macbone on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:25 pm

Tremendous update! Way to make an entrance, BigWham!
Colonel macbone

Postby betiko on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:32 pm

I don t agree with bruce s arguments, the fairness gained with the 30s 1h thing on round 1 is huge.
Major betiko

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:39 pm

betiko wrote:I don t agree with bruce s arguments, the fairness gained with the 30s 1h thing on round 1 is huge.

Convince a long time freestyle vet otherwise! Please give reasons. I am being serious and I am open to discussion.

Postby patrickaa317 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:48 pm

BUG:

After searching for games in gamefinder and hitting the single arrow to get a link/refresh the list, it returns you to the home pages saying "No matching games found".
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Also one last suggestion related to invites. Can you please move the decline button and accept button apart so you cannot hit the decline or accept by accident. That would be great. Thanks and good luck!

Postby patrik702 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:54 pm

blakebowling wrote:
patrik702 wrote:Tourney invite for two team dubs. I am the first one to select. Now awaiting players. I can click to show reserve for any player including my teammate and it gives me the option to cancel their tourney invite (shows the name too).

While the link is visible, clicking it will give you an error message.

Thank you blakeb for the timely reply. I saw the links to cancel the invites but I wasn't going to beta test them.
Don't want to make the TD angry to redo his work.

Thanks again admin!

*tangent Will the replay button rise like a phoenix? With the same setting and positions/rotation in the next game?
Private patrik702

Postby betiko on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:04 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
betiko wrote:I don t agree with bruce s arguments, the fairness gained with the 30s 1h thing on round 1 is huge.

Convince a long time freestyle vet otherwise! Please give reasons. I am being serious and I am open to discussion.

For speeders: what argument of yours stands there seriously? Everyone gets a chance to start at the exact same instant.

For casual; there s been lots of crap going on with team casual freestyle and people waiting for games to fill to accept invites and start first.
If you join last and happen to have a bonus, it s not fair in the first place. If you can t stay around for an hour (you know exactly at what time it starts, not like you re waiting for a random timing start). Just put on an alarm, or put the freaking weight on the B. there is no reason to have an advantage just because you join last as it s the case now!
Major betiko

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:27 pm

betiko wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:

For speeders: what argument of yours stands there seriously? Everyone gets a chance to start at the exact same instant.

For casual; there s been lots of crap going on with team casual freestyle and people waiting for games to fill to accept invites and start first.
If you join last and happen to have a bonus, it s not fair in the first place. If you can t stay around for an hour (you know exactly at what time it starts, not like you re waiting for a random timing start). Just put on an alarm, or put the freaking weight on the B. there is no reason to have an advantage just because you join last as it s the case now!

Since when has Casual freestyle team ever been more than farming. Casual freestyle team is about playing at the same time. Most all times team 1 loses because they do not do that, not because they did not get to start first. Also why should anybody sit around waiting for an hour to see if player 1 or any other player shows up so they can play. That is very very backwards in thinking. And if someone is really trying to "game" the system and or you, they will just wait till the middle of the night to join vs you, or accept an invite vs you, then the 1st hour means nothing as they will still go first. Assuming you sleep. ;) With that said you are not fixing the problems of casual freestyle at all, but rather hindering the game play as a whole.

Can you tell me the reason most people do not stick around on CC? I can and it is a simple one. They want to play now and not wait 24 or more hours for one move. I do not blame people for wanting to play now. Freestyle offered them a way to at least get a turn in before having to wait. Usually those people who are setting up 1 vs 1 freestyle casual games want to play quick. They want fast games and do not want to wait an hour to play, or have someone join who has to wait an hour to play. In that hour they then have to leave for 5 hours. Fast game gone. For those people worried about getting farmed or not being on at the start need to play seq, where they know who will start or rather it will be one at time.

I still challenge you to refute my speed freestyle challenge.
Last edited by Bruceswar on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:27 pm

Bruceswar wrote:Now that I am home I can fully respond to the issues of why no delay on Freestyle games should happen.

I may be wrong, but I believe most of your criticisms are predicated on the belief that the delay is applied every turn. My reading of the changes indicates that the delay is applied only once at the beginning of the game, and not thereafter.

For instance
[*]If you force people to wait 30 seconds, they might not have been able to break a bonus they might have been lucky to get otherwise. That is also part of the game.
Only if they drop a bonus. If they capture a bonus after the first turn, there is no longer a delay.

[*]Basically you are saying that the first player or anybody but the last player can start first. The last player is punished for joining last.
No, the delay applies equally to everyone.

[*]Fast games are part of speed freestyle. Some games last 6 seconds and some speed freestyle games go over 12 hours.(Yes I have been in one)
They might still last 6 seconds, once they get under way. You can consider the extra 30 seconds as being part of the time required to initialize the game.

I have not answered all your objections, but they can all be answered by the same logic. Essentially, all your complaints are based on the idea that the delay will be applied every turn, whereas in fact it will be applied once and only once. It's just there so people don't have to sit there hitting Refresh, Refresh, Refresh ad nausaum while waiting for the game to start. They know in advance when it will begin. Or, that is my understanding, anyway. I apologise in advance if I'm wrong. There's been a lot of reading to keep up with today.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby bigWham on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:31 pm

Bruceswar wrote:Now that I am home I can fully respond to the issues of why no delay on Freestyle games should happen.

Speed FS:
  • The name says speed freestyle! Not wait 30 seconds for a game to start. It is supposed to be about a quick game.
  • If you force people to wait 30 seconds, they might not have been able to break a bonus they might have been lucky to get otherwise. That is also part of the game.
  • It is freestyle. If you setup the game you know the risk involved with such a game.
  • Basically you are saying that the first player or anybody but the last player can start first. The last player is punished for joining last.
  • Fast games are part of speed freestyle. Some games last 6 seconds and some speed freestyle games go over 12 hours.(Yes I have been in one)
  • For those people who complain about lag, you do not hear them complain if the other person happens to lag a bit. It happens to us all, and generally 30 seconds is not gonna fix it.

Casual FS:
  • A one hour wait for the last to join is not good in an instant everything world. People join freestyle games to play a fast game. They do not want to have wait an hour to make a move.
  • In say an 8 man game, most people who join last will not move first but they should be given the option to do so if they want. They gain nothing by going first, but should be able to play right away if they so choose.
  • If a player joins a 3 man to 7 man game, the same applies. Sometimes in a 3 man game you might get a bonus and having to wait around for an hour to defend it is just not cool. If you get dealt a bonus that is just your luck. People who play casual freestyle know it can happen like that. Just one of the things about freestyle.
  • If you are the 2nd player to join in a 1 vs 1 game you are pretty much letting player 1 go first. Most all times when someone sets up a freestyle 1 vs 1 casual game they are around and waiting to play. They want a quick game. Those who complain that 2nd player has a huge advantage usually do not play these games. I have played tons of these games and the 2nd player does not always have a big advantage or an advantage at all. Now you are just giving it to the 1st player and slowing the game down. Remember Freestyle is a fast paced game. That is why people play it and like it. If you do not want to worry about who goes when then you play sequential.
  • By Adding this hold time you will not get more people playing freestyle, you will in turn get less. The seasoned freestyle vets do not want to wait and the people who already do not like it the pace of the game are not all of a sudden going to play more it, just because of a 1st round hold.

I am glad you are willing to listen and hear us out. As one of the oldest freestyle players I hope you reconsider these holds on games. I hope do you not keep them. Freestyle is about speed, and skill. Taking the 1st round speed away just makes it so much less. On a personal level I really do like all the other updates. They are great. Thanks for the hard work. I hope this new ownership means that paying customers will be heard. With over 3300 freestyle games played I hope my voice would carry a bit more wait than the average joe. Thanks for listening.

I think you have a valid perspective but it is not as bad as you think. For one thing the delay is 20 sec for Speed Games. being as its on the first turn only, it is not really slowing the game down significantly. The bonus argument cuts both ways. i don't understand you point about "anybody but the last player can start first"... all players that show up within 20 secs have equal chance to start unless i'm missing something. whereas under the previous situation the last player had a huge advantage in that respect.

As far as casual games go i don't know what you mean by "If you are the 2nd player to join in a 1 vs 1 game you are pretty much letting player 1 go first." seems tobe you actually have slightly more chance of going first since you know for a fact you can play your turn in 1 hour... whereas the other guy may be out on a yacht. whereas i do believe in the previous situation the player joining second in a casual 1v1 had a significant advantage.

In any case, I'm perfectly happy to assess how it goes in field and if it doesn't go well tweak or remove it as needed. For sure I will listen to the voice of the players... so let's get everyone's input after they've lived with it a bit.
Brigadier bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby bigWham on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:33 pm

cairnswk wrote:sorry guys, but the images on the front page have just tragically deteriorated :(

yeah it is tragic, but should be fixed soon
Brigadier bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives