Conquer Club

Updates 01/11/14: Inventory, Scheduled Autos, Transformation

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Updates 01/11/14: Inventory, Scheduled Autos, Transforma

Postby jghost7 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:10 am

Why are the Auto Tourneys requiring inventory before adequate time has passed to give everyone time to earn them?

This is pretty dumb in itself, but is worsened by the lack of foresight in its implementation. Now the tourneys will stall as players who want to join have to wait for this dumb system to catch up. It doesnt make any sense to me to put hindrances in the way of tournaments that you want players to fill.

Please fix this.

Thanks,

J
Major jghost7

Postby threex12 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:45 am

Well, I stared at my Drab Conqueror medal for the longest time ... now old ladies wont sit next to me on the bus ... oh the humanity! :shock:

I love my Conquer Club :D
Lieutenant threex12

Postby denominator on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:20 pm

jghost7 wrote:Why are the Auto Tourneys requiring inventory before adequate time has passed to give everyone time to earn them?

This is pretty dumb in itself, but is worsened by the lack of foresight in its implementation. Now the tourneys will stall as players who want to join have to wait for this dumb system to catch up. It doesnt make any sense to me to put hindrances in the way of tournaments that you want players to fill.

Please fix this.

Thanks,

J

It fixes itself over time. You always have the option of joining more games to get more stars. Any games joined will have a chance of awarding you stars - bot games, speed games, or regular games.

All you have to do is play more games and you'll soon have more than enough stars to play in any tournaments you want.
Major denominator

Postby jghost7 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:58 am

denominator wrote:
jghost7 wrote:Why are the Auto Tourneys requiring inventory before adequate time has passed to give everyone time to earn them?

Please fix this.

Thanks,

J

It fixes itself over time. You always have the option of joining more games to get more stars. Any games joined will have a chance of awarding you stars - bot games, speed games, or regular games.

All you have to do is play more games and you'll soon have more than enough stars to play in any tournaments you want.

No shit sherlock. Hence the "system to catch up" statement. But in the mean time, there are a bunch of tournaments up, that willing players are unable to join because adequate time wasnt given to begin with. There is no need to have a problem fix itself over time when it would have made more sense just to allow sufficient time to pass and then implement that part of the plan with no problem occurring. Not rocket science. Easy solution, just delay the entry fees for a couple of weeks. Quick, easy, and very simple.

Thanks,

J
Major jghost7

Postby mikerr_2004 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Me thinks I got a star for tying me shoes this morn
Private mikerr_2004

Postby Rocco Star on Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:13 pm

Yeah looks really good all these improvements. Many not needed many will be once established. Your active leaderships of the gamesite is impressive.

Roc
Major Rocco Star

Postby Apokolips on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:22 pm

fantastic, new program is of great benefit
Corporal Apokolips

Postby Gamefreakguy on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:30 am

Hey guys, just want to say, as I'm seeing more of how stars are awarded, I have more issue with it. It appears the stars come in tiers - of course, some are common for simple tasks while others can only come from tournament rewards. I don't expect a red star from logging on in the morning. I expect the very lowest of tiers for the very lowest of tasks. But giving out the higher tiered stars for simple tasks while lower stars are being awarded for greater tasks is not how it should reasonably function. If an orange star is earned from winning a small tournament, a cyan should not be earned for a single game win (as cyan is apparently the greater of the two since it is awarded for first place in some tournaments when orange is for second). Now, perhaps it's not a big deal because stars are only used for joining more tournaments currently, so what's the big deal to randomize it, but if that's the case then why award them in different tiers like there is some honor in gaining one over another? It loses some of the fun.

I'm excited to see how the greater-tiered stars will be awarded, but I hope there will be a genuine journey to get there instead of randomizing that journey to make it meaningless.
"Never let your fear decide your fate."
"He who controls others may be powerful but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." Lao Tzu
Major Gamefreakguy

Postby Gamefreakguy on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:04 am

Sorry, didn't mean to come down too hard. After all, the point of it all is to have fun and I'm certainly enjoying these auto tourneys. I have a suggestion as well (hope I'm not overbearing at this point). Maybe it would be a good idea to make some speed tourneys that are scheduled at consistent times each day so players can look forward to it and know it'll be there? It would definitely give a very cozy feel to tournaments, like "Hey Bob you gonna catch the midnight speeder tonight?" "You know it, Sam! It's on!" It would be like a nightly poker game with the boys, and they're wondering if you'll show up. That would be cool. Do it for Bob.

Of course have extras on the side as well but some planned consistency would add some stability to the whole scene I think! :D Thanks. I'm finding that I'm full of ideas for this, I love the quick tourneys, wish I could program a few myself. ;) mod powers please? Anyway, carry on, GFG out.
"Never let your fear decide your fate."
"He who controls others may be powerful but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." Lao Tzu
Major Gamefreakguy

Postby bigWham on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:22 am

Gamefreakguy wrote:Sorry, didn't mean to come down too hard. After all, the point of it all is to have fun and I'm certainly enjoying these auto tourneys. I have a suggestion as well (hope I'm not overbearing at this point). Maybe it would be a good idea to make some speed tourneys that are scheduled at consistent times each day so players can look forward to it and know it'll be there? It would definitely give a very cozy feel to tournaments, like "Hey Bob you gonna catch the midnight speeder tonight?" "You know it, Sam! It's on!" It would be like a nightly poker game with the boys, and they're wondering if you'll show up. That would be cool. Do it for Bob.

Of course have extras on the side as well but some planned consistency would add some stability to the whole scene I think! :D Thanks. I'm finding that I'm full of ideas for this, I love the quick tourneys, wish I could program a few myself. ;) mod powers please? Anyway, carry on, GFG out.

Nice idea and, conveniently, it has just been implemented.

The actual schedule of Autos will be rolled out over the coming week or so, but we will have a mixture of fixed and variable times and a wide variety of speed autos recurring with different frequencies.

Additionally, improvements have been made to the tournament page, which now refreshes via ajax, and will open multiple games when you are in them.

Also, autos with an entry cost can now be unjoined if the schedule passes without them starting.
Brigadier bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 am

bigWham wrote:Additionally, improvements have been made to the tournament page, which now refreshes via ajax, and will open multiple games when you are in them.

When can we expect some relief for non-auto tournaments?
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Optimus Prime on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Exactly what kind of benefit is this "Inventory" feature? I can join a tournament with them or just look at them? I can already join a tournament without them and why would I want to collect them just to stare at? This makes absolutely no sense. Come on guys, you can do better.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Butters1919 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:13 am

loved the auto tournament addition. but now, they require "inventory" and are half speed tournaments (which I can't partake in). sigh.
Cook Butters1919

Postby dgz345 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:35 am

@butters
you get "inventory"(stars) from playing games. so its made so you can not join every tournament and not playing regular games. so you have to strive for the tournaments.

not the best explanation maybe... but its a point for it
Lieutenant dgz345
Head Tech
Head Tech

Postby Leehar on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:52 am

dgz345 wrote:@butters
you get "inventory"(stars) from playing games. so its made so you can not join every tournament and not playing regular games. so you have to strive for the tournaments.

Incentive scheme pretty much.
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby jghost7 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:45 am

Leehar wrote: ...Incentive scheme pretty much.

Yeah, but that is dumb. Now even if I eventually get the stars required, I still will have to wait forever for the tourney to start. So,
If they can only have a limited number of tourneys up, the same ones will sit and sit, stagnating the whole autotourney scene. No new ones get made and the ones we want to play never start. That is very frustrating.

J
Major jghost7

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:34 pm

jghost7 wrote:

Yeah, but that is dumb. Now even if I eventually get the stars required, I still will have to wait forever for the tourney to start. So,
If they can only have a limited number of tourneys up, the same ones will sit and sit, stagnating the whole autotourney scene. No new ones get made and the ones we want to play never start. That is very frustrating.

J

The number of stars in circulation is plentiful. I have 47 stars of various colours and I've made no effort to seek any. I'm sure people who are trying for them have a lot more.

There hasn't been any demonstrated problem filling autotournaments. They are turning over at an astonishing rate. One month and three days after they were first introduced, 248 autotournaments have begun (are ongoing or complete). That's more than six a day.

There may be a small bottleneck for a few people who play lots of autos and need to pause a bit to gather more stars. That's probably intentional -- since the best way to collect stars is to play public games, this may shake some people out of their tournament-only or clan-only or private-friends-only scene and get them playing public games, which is a good thing. If there is such a bottleneck, though, it must impact very few people indeed, because the autos are continuing to fill with no slow-up since the stars were added.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby jghost7 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:29 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
jghost7 wrote:

J

The number of stars in circulation is plentiful. I have 47 stars of various colours and I've made no effort to seek any. I'm sure people who are trying for them have a lot more.

There hasn't been any demonstrated problem filling autotournaments. They are turning over at an astonishing rate. One month and three days after they were first introduced, 248 autotournaments have begun (are ongoing or complete). That's more than six a day.

There may be a small bottleneck for a few people who play lots of autos and need to pause a bit to gather more stars. That's probably intentional -- since the best way to collect stars is to play public games, this may shake some people out of their tournament-only or clan-only or private-friends-only scene and get them playing public games, which is a good thing. If there is such a bottleneck, though, it must impact very few people indeed, because the autos are continuing to fill with no slow-up since the stars were added.

Thats crap. No offense, but we aren't stupid. Those numbers are well and good, but not accurate when it is being used to back up the inventory issue. Your numbers would have began accumulating around the third week of November until now, however implementation of entry cost occurred somewhere in the last 10 days. Please don't try to confuse people with those numbers that mostly accumulated prior to the cost implementation. Lets not also forget that just over 100 of those 248 were speeders and did not have the same cost problem. So yes, the tournaments were filling fairly quickly. But now they have stagnated somewhat. I know the one I was looking to get into has 2 people in it and has been out over a week.

One positive is that they seem to have noticed this and made the attempt to fix some of the entry cost. The newer additions have come down a bit in stars so some of us could try them.

One thing that may help is a better explanation on how the stars are awarded out. I carry a pretty good game count and have finished plenty of games since the start of the inventory, yet I still have not been able to acquire the relevant stars to enter into the desired tourneys. Yes, apparently there are alot of stars out there, but the ones they have previously been asking for are not as common as you would like me to believe as after all of my games I still only have 1 Cyan and 1 Orange star with some 40 something other random stars.

Dukasaur wrote:...because the autos are continuing to fill with no slow-up since the stars were added.

This statement is 100% false. Good grief.

Thanks,

J
Major jghost7

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:36 pm

jghost7 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
jghost7 wrote:

J

Thats crap. No offense, but we aren't stupid. Those numbers are well and good, but not accurate when it is being used to back up the inventory issue. Your numbers would have began accumulating around the third week of November until now, however implementation of entry cost occurred somewhere in the last 10 days. Please don't try to confuse people with those numbers that mostly accumulated prior to the cost implementation. Lets not also forget that just over 100 of those 248 were speeders and did not have the same cost problem. So yes, the tournaments were filling fairly quickly. But now they have stagnated somewhat. I know the one I was looking to get into has 2 people in it and has been out over a week.

One positive is that they seem to have noticed this and made the attempt to fix some of the entry cost. The newer additions have come down a bit in stars so some of us could try them.

One thing that may help is a better explanation on how the stars are awarded out. I carry a pretty good game count and have finished plenty of games since the start of the inventory, yet I still have not been able to acquire the relevant stars to enter into the desired tourneys. Yes, apparently there are alot of stars out there, but the ones they have previously been asking for are not as common as you would like me to believe as after all of my games I still only have 1 Cyan and 1 Orange star with some 40 something other random stars.

Dukasaur wrote:...because the autos are continuing to fill with no slow-up since the stars were added.

Thanks,

J

I did a search 2 hours ago and I saw 248. I just did a search now and I see 257. That either means 9 have started in the last 2 hours, or I'm doing some really good LSD.

Not all of them fill that quick, of course. I'm looking for which one you mean that "has 2 people in it" and if it's the one I think it is, it might be because it's freestyle. There's not as many freestylers as there used to be, and even the ones still around are hanging back a bit because of the current lag problems. So, if it's the freestyle tourney you're talking about, that might be the reason.

The fact that some of the autos with unpopular settings aren't filling quickly doesn't mean that there is a problem. Regular tourneys with unpopular settings take longer to fill, also. It makes sense, and it has nothing to do with a shortage of stars.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby jghost7 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:52 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
jghost7 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
jghost7 wrote:

J

Thanks,

J

I did a search 2 hours ago and I saw 248. I just did a search now and I see 257. That either means 9 have started in the last 2 hours, or I'm doing some really good LSD.

Not all of them fill that quick, of course. I'm looking for which one you mean that "has 2 people in it" and if it's the one I think it is, it might be because it's freestyle. There's not as many freestylers as there used to be, and even the ones still around are hanging back a bit because of the current lag problems. So, if it's the freestyle tourney you're talking about, that might be the reason.

The fact that some of the autos with unpopular settings aren't filling quickly doesn't mean that there is a problem. Regular tourneys with unpopular settings take longer to fill, also. It makes sense, and it has nothing to do with a shortage of stars.

No, not freestyle. Its a poly, and they have had no problem at all filling in the past. As to the the increased number, they just added a few to join and have done some speed ones in the interim. Not lsd, just more drafts and opens. However, the stars were the problem no matter how you try to rationalize it out. Like I pointed out earlier though, they have started lowering some of the star requirements so that we may actually get some going now.

J
Major jghost7

Postby benga on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:24 am

Click image to enlarge.

this are mine stars and I am one of those pretty extreme guys here

I really don't expect that many are close to here, the point is over time people will have more stars and ability to join autos,

but not all people play 150 games or are active 24hrs per day

most play 20 to 30 games tops, and autos filling has been significantly slowed down
Sergeant benga

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:47 pm

Jghost, the poly in question has a high cost for the obvious reason that it's got a higher than normal prize level. It's clearly set up as such to give people apsomething to strive for since there's some nice prizes there.

I do agree a better understanding of how to increase odds of getting better stars would be great.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby jghost7 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:55 am

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:Jghost, the poly in question has a high cost for the obvious reason that it's got a higher than normal prize level. It's clearly set up as such to give people apsomething to strive for since there's some nice prizes there.

I do agree a better understanding of how to increase odds of getting better stars would be great.

Yeah I could see that as a possibility, however for nearly the first two weeks the four or so tournaments that they had up on the page were all pretty high costs. They only just started putting the more reasonable tourneys out within the last couple of days. Knowing that the inventory just started, they should have put out more lower costing tourneys out there with the carrot that they were dangling.

Thanks,

J
Major jghost7

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:43 am

I think the problem was more them just not creating casual tournaments. I understand the initial quest for the stars tournaments and the poly slam, those were just setting up the initial upgrade path of tournaments.

I think the problem you noticed is they stopped creating casual tournaments in favor of creating piles of scheduled speed tournaments (which I have to say I miss seeing around with the frequency they were previously done). The few casual tournaments they created were all low cost and the only problem I found that I was having is finding enough drab stars to join all the ones I wanted to since I'm not a very heavy game player.

It's nice to see some spread of stars starting to show up in the tournament cost, since now I can start using a more even spread of the stars I've gathered.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby Foxglove on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:32 pm

Dukasaur wrote:The number of stars in circulation is plentiful. I have 47 stars of various colours and I've made no effort to seek any. I'm sure people who are trying for them have a lot more.

I don't feel like the stars are plentiful. I haven't joined any of the speed tournaments for awhile because I've had no Auburn stars, and they all seemed to take one to join - so I stopped looking. I see by later comments in this thread that some of the entry requirements have been relaxed, which is good! I just checked and I seem to have 1 Auburn star now - but I think I will hoard it for awhile. :)

I think it will get better over time as more people accumulate the more common stars, but it's also true that this is a system that favors people who play a lot of games. You probably have a lot of stars because you have averaged 164 games per month since you joined CC. I have averaged 17 games per month during my time on CC. I have 20 active now (more than my usual, for sure) - and I have been unable to enter most of the tournaments that seem interesting to me so far. Hopefully I will be able to join some more tournaments before too long.
Brigadier Foxglove

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives