Conquer Club

Conquer Club Olympics

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Club Olympics

Postby josko.ri on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:04 am

Will there be a second chance to join tournaments which we have missed? Such as opening all tournaments once again on the last day?

It seems to be unfair that majority of players cannot fairly compete in the event, if they have for example weekend vacation or whatsoever to be unable to be online on particular days.

If you open all tournaments afterwards on the last days, then everyone would get a second participation chance in every event and therefore quality of players' gameplay would have dominant factor over quantity of players' time. That is still in olympic spirit, because in real olympics, after the main event ends there are paralympic games, for the ones who could not participate in the main event because they are disabled. In CC sense, the ones who were disabled to be online or to have enough free time on particular days, should get a second chance to use their participation right so that everyone have equal chance of full participation, even the ones who had busy days.

You should especially consider this suggestion for 3 main reasons:
1. This is summer time and vacation time for most of CC players. Therefore, majority would be unable to be free for CC for consecutive 15 days in peak summer season.
2. There are around 30 tourneys to participate in. That is huge amount of tournaments to be played so schedule should not be so much restricted to only 1 day per 1 type of tournament.
3. More participation = more benefit and fun for CC community in overall, so why not give us chance for having that?
Lieutenant josko.ri

Postby Electricksabers on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:57 am

josko.ri wrote:Will there be a second chance to join tournaments which we have missed? Such as opening all tournaments once again on the last day?

It seems to be unfair that majority of players cannot fairly compete in the event, if they have for example weekend vacation or whatsoever to be unable to be online on particular days.

If you open all tournaments afterwards on the last days, then everyone would get a second participation chance in every event and therefore quality of players' gameplay would have dominant factor over quantity of players' time. That is still in olympic spirit, because in real olympics, after the main event ends there are paralympic games, for the ones who could not participate in the main event because they are disabled. In CC sense, the ones who were disabled to be online or to have enough free time on particular days, should get a second chance to use their participation right so that everyone have equal chance of full participation, even the ones who had busy days.

1. This is summer time and vacation time for most of CC players. Therefore, majority would be unable to be free for CC for consecutive 15 days in peak summer season.
2. There are around 30 tourneys to participate in. That is huge amount of tournaments to be played so schedule should not be so much restricted to only 1 day per 1 type of tournament.
3. More participation = more benefit and fun for CC community in overall, so why not give us chance for having that?

I hope not, because I made sure I played in every tourney to get the ribbons and maybe a lucky medal, even on maps and settings I don't like. If these changes are made now it will be unfair to the people who made the time to play in every event.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Electricksabers

Postby josko.ri on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:15 am

shaneback wrote:
josko.ri wrote:Will there be a second chance to join tournaments which we have missed? Such as opening all tournaments once again on the last day?

I hope not, because I made sure I played in every tourney to get the ribbons and maybe a lucky medal, even on maps and settings I don't like. If these changes are made now it will be unfair to the people who made the time to play in every event.

Those people who had time to play in every event would not be handicapped, they would still have their own chance to play in maximal 30 events. In fact, they would have the easiest route, because their game load would be 2 tourneys per day over 15 days, while game load of players who were busy would be 0~2 games over 14 days, and then more than 2 tournaments in only one day, which is harder way to play them well.

Fair deal is if everyone plays equal number of tournaments (unless someone does not want to play maximal) and then the ones who show better performance win.
Unfair deal is that someone wins just because he had more free time or in this example he had 15 consecutive days of free time, over others who maybe have better winning %, but they have been busy some portion of days when they could not join tournaments.

I am sad if you think it is fair that players compete vs each other on the way that someone is playing more tournaments and others are playing less. I cannot think of any real sports competition in which that is the case. I would personally be unhappy to (possibly) win an event where my opponents played less tournaments than me. What makes real challenge is winning where everyone played equal number of events, yet winner achieved better results than everyone else.
Lieutenant josko.ri

Postby Electricksabers on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:01 am

josko.ri wrote:Those people who had time to play in every event would not be handicapped, they would still have their own chance to play in maximal 30 events. In fact, they would have the easiest route, because their game load would be 2 tourneys per day over 15 days, while game load of players who were busy would be 0~2 games over 14 days, and then more than 2 tournaments in only one day, which is harder way to play them well.

Fair deal is if everyone plays equal number of tournaments (unless someone does not want to play maximal) and then the ones who show better performance win.
Unfair deal is that someone wins just because he had more free time or in this example he had 15 consecutive days of free time, over others who maybe have better winning %, but they have been busy some portion of days when they could not join tournaments.

I am sad if you think it is fair that players compete vs each other on the way that someone is playing more tournaments and others are playing less. I cannot think of any real sports competition in which that is the case. I would personally be unhappy to (possibly) win an event where my opponents played less tournaments than me. What makes real challenge is winning where everyone played equal number of events, yet winner achieved better results than everyone else.

I did not say they would be handicapped, I said it would not be fair. I and other people already put in the time to take part in all the events because we read the guidelines and followed them. Everybody knew what the guidelines were from the beginning. Everybody had the same chance to play in the tourneys, you are acting as if they did not. All the tourneys were open for a day or more. You have to log in once a day to play turns, so therefor everyone had the same equal chance to join the tourneys. It would be unfair to the people who already made the sacrifice to take part in all the events to change the guidelines now. Had I know there would be a second chance I might have joined the tournaments in a different manner.

As far as your last paragraph the Olympics are a prime example of this. Michael Phelps has more medals than anyone else because swimming has more events than everyone else. He won 8 gold medals because he swam in 8 events. Hockey players can only win 1 medal because there is only 1 hockey event.

Don't worry about being happy or sad for me, I know I did the best I could while still following the guidelines of the event instead of trying to change them to suit me.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Electricksabers

Postby josko.ri on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:34 am

shaneback wrote:I did not say they would be handicapped, I said it would not be fair. I and other people already put in the time to take part in all the events because we read the guidelines and followed them. Everybody knew what the guidelines were from the beginning.

You say everybody knew what were guidelines from the beginning. So let's see what were the guidelines about start time and end time of tournaments. The only quote which speaks about that is:

DoomYoshi wrote:This is the post that will have all the details of tournaments.
The Opening Ceremonies start tonight at 9 PM and run until noon tomorrow.
At midnight, speed tournaments will start and will be open for 24 hours. A new one will start every day of the event.
At noon, a casual tournament will enter signups.

So, for speed tournaments it was clearly written start time (midnight) and end time (after 24 hours).

For casual tournament, start time was determined at noon every day, while end time was not determined.
So, since you reference yourself to initial guidelines known by everyone, can you tell me from which guidelines did you conclude that casual tournaments will be running for only 1 day?
It was never said they will run for only 1 day, so based by guidelines I can conclude they will be ran for entire duration of the tournament.
Lieutenant josko.ri

Postby Electricksabers on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:48 am

Well it says in what you quote that a new one will start everyday of the event.......that is where i concluded they would be open for 24 hours.

also DY said it here

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206502#p4525768

I'm off to play some turns, so have a nice day.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Electricksabers

Postby shoop76 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:59 am

I agree with both of you. The setup is difficult and way to fast paced. I also don't like that there are so many speed tournaments for this. Speed tournaments on cc are a rarity and for this event there a very large amount of speed tournaments. The individuals that play in all of these have a huge advantage.

I do agree with Shane though. It is too late to change this. It seems like this another great idea that needed some more thinking out.

By the way anyone else having trouble with clickies? (again)
Sergeant 1st Class shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby josko.ri on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:04 pm

shaneback wrote:Well it says in what you quote that a new one will start everyday of the event.......that is where i concluded they would be open for 24 hours.

also DY said it here

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206502#p4525768

I'm off to play some turns, so have a nice day.

The fact that they start every day does not mean they will be open for 24 hours. There can be 2 (or more of them) going in the same time.
For example, major tournaments are also starting every day, yet they are open for sign ups for several days not only for one day.
In this moment, there are 5~6 major tournaments opened in "Create/Join a Tournament" forum.
For second example, speed tournaments are also opened 2 or 3 at the same time.
So why should casual tournaments as well not be opened 2 or more at the same time (like it is the case with major and speed tournaments), which indicates that they may be ran for more than 1 day.

The second link which you give to me does not say anywhere that casual tournaments will be running for only 1 day. Can you quote where exactly it is said, it is pretty lame to give a link but do not indicate where within the link your reference is written.

Anyhow, even if it was said afterwards, the link which I gave (second post) says "This is the post that will have all the details of tournaments."
Guidelines are written in the first two posts, it is not someone's obligation is to read all posts to know the rules when rules are all determined in opening posts.

shoop76 wrote:I do agree with Shane though. It is too late to change this. It seems like this another great idea that needed some more thinking out.

I am asking to follow initial guidelines (and common sense).
I am saying it was nowhere determined that casual tournaments will be ran for only 24 hours (it was written ONLY for speed tournaments) and therefore if we follow guidelines, new set of games for all ongoing casual tournaments should be opened.

This is not asking for change of rules, this is asking to follow them on the way how they were determined in first two posts.
Lieutenant josko.ri

Postby Pirlo on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:21 pm

I liked the olympics more when it began... tourneys stopped showing up on a regular basis, beside some other glitches! I still believe the winner of those speed tourneys should be awarded gold rather than silver, even if it was just 8 players tourney, because it just doesn't make sense to compete for a anything other than gold. Well, it was the first time, and I can just hope the people who run this have learned a lot from any mistake/problem arose around.

Overall, it's been so fun and I can only thank all the people who put their efforts to make this happen!
Major Pirlo

Postby Ffraid on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:26 pm

Pirlo wrote:... tourneys stopped showing up on a regular basis, ...

Why haven't we gotten a new casual auto tourney today?
Colonel Ffraid

Postby hwhrhett on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:07 pm

Ffraid wrote:
Pirlo wrote:... tourneys stopped showing up on a regular basis, ...

Why haven't we gotten a new casual auto tourney today?

yeah, I was wondering, its weird....
Cook hwhrhett

Postby IcePack on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:27 pm

shoop76 wrote:By the way anyone else having trouble with clickies? (again)

For anyone else make sure you have clickies 4.22 , go to tools area and availible tools, clickies 4.22 to find the update.
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby hwhrhett on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:21 am

no new tourneys in past 24 hours? whats goin on here?
Cook hwhrhett

Postby IcePack on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:46 am

The end of the world as we know it?
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby hwhrhett on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:59 am

IcePack wrote:The end of the world as we know it?

lol, certainly
Cook hwhrhett

Postby Endgame422 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:58 pm

hwhrhett wrote:no new tourneys in past 24 hours? whats goin on here?

No DY for the past 24+ hours.
Lieutenant Endgame422

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:12 pm

H everyone, I was bogged way down at work (got home at 1030 PM last night). Anyways, the tournaments will be getting going.

For this year, it is too late to change rules like josko.ri suggested.

For next year, I am hoping to add Battle Royales in lieu of Speed Tournaments (with a few speeders thrown in as well) in addition to "days of rest" so that the weekends aren't constantly churning out new tournaments. A slower pace and some more variety will make it more enjoyable for most. Please be aware that I had some pretty grandiose ideas about this event, and the current event only scratches the surface! Thanks to all those who are playing.

Just a reminder: Sunday is the last day. The Closing Ceremonies will open up then. They will be identical to the Opening Ceremonies (except the name will be different).

From here on in, all the autos will be based on the "Major Tournaments" that are running now.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:27 pm

In other news, partially by popular request, the opening ceremonies will be rerun over the next 3 days at secret intervals!
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:54 am

The final manual tournament of the CC Olympics has been posted:
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=206817
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby josko.ri on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:32 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:For this year, it is too late to change rules like josko.ri suggested.

I think you did not read well what I suggested, because I asked to follow the rules on the way how they are written, not to change them.
To be precise, here is rule (quoted from post 2) which was not followed:

DoomYoshi wrote:This is the post that will have all the details of tournaments.

The Opening Ceremonies start tonight at 9 PM and run until noon tomorrow.
At midnight, speed tournaments will start and will be open for 24 hours. A new one will start every day of the event.
At noon, a casual tournament will enter signups.

When one of the autos fills, another one will be created within the hour after it fills.

You made clear that "Opening Ceremonies" and Speed tournaments will be opened for 24 hours.
However, you did not make clear that casual tournaments will be opened only for 24 hours.
Based by your post, players can conclude that casual tournaments will keep opening for the whole duration of the event, because you wrote their start date (at noon) and you wrote pace of making new ones (within the hour after previous one fills) but you did not write end time nor you anywhere precised that casual tournaments will be run for 24 hours as well.

You could word it for example "All tournaments will be opened for 24 hours", and that would make everything clear. However, you separately wrote duration of a tournament for major, speed and casual tournaments, without mentioning 24 hour time frame in casual tournaments.

Some players understood that casual tournaments will be opened for the entire duration of the tournament and therefore did not rush to join them during first several days.

DoomYoshi wrote:In other news, partially by popular request, the opening ceremonies will be rerun over the next 3 days at secret intervals!

I really cannot believe you decided to reopen only Opening Ceremonies, but did not reopen other casual tournaments.
Here are reasons why this move is going against any common sense:
1. "Opening Ceremonies" is actually the only tournament which name indicates that it should be played only in the beginning of the whole event. Every other tournament (in sense of real Olympic games) can be ongoing throughout the whole duration of the Olypmics, but "Opening Ceremonies" cannot.
2. In post 2, you clearly stated that "Opening Ceremonies" would be run from until noon next day. So, you opened tournament for which you clearly wrote ending time, but you did not open other tournaments for which you did not indicate ending time. How this can be justified?
3. Here are number of players entered each of caual tournament events: (number of players for Opening Ceremonies are before you reopened it).
Opening Ceremonies (participation ribbon): 160 players (192 and more after you reopened it)
Atlantean Water Polo: 160
Uranium Enriching (participation ribbon): 144
Glow-In-The-Dark-Archery: 128
Nuclear Gnarling: 128
Trademark Infringing: 128
Wheelchair Slalom: 128
Zombie Baseball: 112
Human Catapulting: 112
Waggle Dancing: 96

So, you say that "partially by popular request" you reopened tournament which actually had the most participants of any other tournament. How that can be logical?
This event is really going out of any common sense.

4. Not only that you reopened "Opening Ceremonies" once, but you will keep reopening it until the whole event ends. Instead of that, you could reopen every casual tournament once, so players would have new chance to join event which they have missed, instead of just repeating opening the tournament which already had the most participants amongst all tournaments.

As conclusion, based by my pointing out that ending time of casual tournaments was not determined, fair thing would be follow the rules on the way how they were written, and allow reopening of all casual tournament on the last day of the event.
This argument especially stands because "Opening Ceremonies" were reopened, and that tournament actually had more participants than any other tournament, so if tournament with the most participants was reopened, then also other tournaments where (obviously) more participants had missed their chance to join, should also be reopened.
Lieutenant josko.ri

Postby Electricksabers on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:42 pm

I finally figured our how Josko wins everything. He grinds on until everybody else gives up.

josko.ri wrote:.

and you are clearly your tune about why you think the tournaments should be reopened. this is from your original post regarding it, so you obviously knew how it was going to work, and now you are saying something completely different.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Electricksabers

Postby Philip Andersen on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:38 pm

Is there a page, where you can view all medalists by tournament?
Major Philip Andersen

Postby josko.ri on Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:14 am

shaneback wrote:
josko.ri wrote:.

and you are clearly your tune about why you think the tournaments should be reopened. this is from your original post regarding it, so you obviously knew how it was going to work, and now you are saying something completely different.

No, this my original post is now intentionally misinterpreted by you.

This was sequence of my playing and decision making regarding this event:

1. When I saw this event was opened, I read rules and joined only 1 tournament "Opening Ceremonies" because for only that tournament it was determined end time of the tournament, so I did not want to mis the chance of joining.
2. In next several days I did not join any new casual tournament, because from reading rules on the first day I concluded that they will be kept opened until August 3.
3. When my schedule became available, I came here just to realize that casual tournaments from past days were surprisingly not reopened.
4. I asked DoomYoshi to reopen them, according to how rules were written.

The post of mine which you quoted was post where I suggested to open ALL tournaments again (speed tournaments included) with arguments why I think they should be reopened. So that post is suggestion (which was rejected) but other posts are not suggestions but are asking for rules to be followed on the way how they were written, which means that all casual tournaments should be reopened.

It is funny how you initially strictly "asked" for guidelines to be followed, and now you are bashing me for asking the same thing. It seems like you are changing your opinions based on which way the wind blows.
Lieutenant josko.ri

Postby Electricksabers on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:26 am

josko.ri wrote:josko.ri wrote:.

Yes, I am asking for the guidelines to be followed. 1 day per 1 type of tournament, as you pointed out in your initial post.

We agree completely.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Electricksabers

Postby josko.ri on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:44 am

shaneback wrote:
josko.ri wrote:josko.ri wrote:.

Yes, I am asking for the guidelines to be followed. 1 day per 1 type of tournament, as you pointed out in your initial post.

We agree completely.

The quote of mine which you posted is OBSERVED pattern of how games were going away, it is not WRITTEN rules.
So, I had known rules are WRITTEN in one way on the first day of the event, and and then I OBSERVED things were going differently several days after.

WRITTEN rules are one thing, and OBSERVED rules are other thing, in case of this tournament they are not the same.
They should both be the same, so I ask organizer to follow WRITTEN rules.

If you observe a crime by other person, you will come to police station and report that you witnessed crime. Does it mean you think that doing the crime is correct? of course no.
That is what I did, I observed that tournaments are going 1 type per 1 day, and therefore I wrote result of my observation in the post. That does not mean that I thought that my observation was under the rules.
But nice try to misguide meaning of my post. ;)
Lieutenant josko.ri

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives