Conquer Club

Feudal 1v1 Round Robin [Winner: Army of Achilles]

Tournaments completed in 2008.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: feudal war 1v1 round robin. Phase 2 underway.

Postby Humanist on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:13 pm

"No easy rides for anyone"

Well, I don't quite know how I did it. But I've won all 3 of my phase 2 games, thus preserving my 100% record in the tourny so far.

I'd love to say it's skill, but I think more than a dash of luck is involved!
Lieutenant Humanist

Postby Dominator7 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:37 pm

Thanks for the tourney fatharry

Got side tracted for 10 days due to Hurricane Ike, no power or internet.

Hope u have another
Captain Dominator7

Postby FATHARRY on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:44 am

Dominator7 wrote:Thanks for the tourney fatharry

Got side tracted for 10 days due to Hurricane Ike, no power or internet.

Hope u have another

definitely, once I've had 6 or 7 years to recover :-)

probably do one in a couple of months, Dom - hope to see you there, sorry about your tussle with Ike. Didn't your mother ever warn you not to pick fights with hurricanes ? :D
Major FATHARRY

Standings

Postby FATHARRY on Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:40 am

Groups standings have been updated in section 2 of the opening post.
Major FATHARRY

Postby Humanist on Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:19 am

Congratulations to Duckers for ending my unbeaten run today! Boooooooo!! :-)

I've seen some interesting strategies in this tourny, it's amazing that such a simple map can have so many possibilities
Lieutenant Humanist

Postby FATHARRY on Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:46 am

Standings have been updated in the opening post.
Major FATHARRY

Postby FATHARRY on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:46 am

Standings updated - see section 2 of opening post.
Major FATHARRY

I just wanted to say something...

Postby Tammy DeLee on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:49 am

There are alot of you in this tourney that have hosted your own at one time or another and know what is involved when running one. but most of us dont have a clue, myself included.
But it floors me when Harry tells me "thanks" in these posts for making a few games... which isnt a drop in the bucket compared to the time, effort and work hes put into this tournament... I personally dont know how he does it... i'm no wealth of knowledge as far as tourneys go, but i've played in a few and this is the first one that has gone so far without a hitch or screw-up (except mine 8-[ ) and if there were complications we werent aware of them... a tournament of this caliber and he's made it look like childs play, when in fact its anything but.

So Harry I just wanted to say "Thank you" and let you know that your efforts are appreciated... My hats off to ya partner, you've done one hell of a job!

Tam
show: purdy
Sergeant 1st Class Tammy DeLee

Latest Update

Postby FATHARRY on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:02 am

We are nearing the half-way point of phase 2 and the leader-boards are starting to take shape. A couple of the more fancied players have a bit of catching up to do to make the finals :-). 22 games still need to be completed from the first 2 cycles, but we will send out the next cycle of games tomorrow.

Current standings for phase 2 are in section 2 of the opening post.

EckoJ has not logged on for 5 days now and has games waiting. He didn't let me know that he was going to be away. Does anyone know when he is likely to be back? If so, please let me know. I will give him a few more days, but can't keep the tournament waiting for too much longer.

The last game from phase 1 has been completed. Well done to RedRover23B for winning that game. The final standings from phase 1 are in section 3 of the opening post.
Major FATHARRY

Standings

Postby FATHARRY on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:59 am

Standings have been updated in section2 of the opening post.
Major FATHARRY

Standings Updated

Postby FATHARRY on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:11 am

See Section 2 of the opening post for the latest standings.
Major FATHARRY

Latest Update.

Postby FATHARRY on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:55 am

We are almost 3/4 of the way through phase 2 - and there is still everything to play for. Army of Achilles has left the rest of group R in his dust, and he looks like a shoo-in for the finals, but the battle for the other 7 places in the finals continues to rage fiercely. See section 2 of the opening post for the latest standings.

I am pleased to say that EckoJ has rejoined the tournament, and is catching up his games with a vengeance.

Can all players please let me know in advance if you plan to be away for more than a couple of days while this tournament is in progress. Thanks ;) .

Harry
Major FATHARRY

Latest Update

Postby FATHARRY on Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:10 am

Group Q: gordito and fatharry look like qualifying for the finals, but Bigragooch can force a play off if he wins his last 3 games.

Group R: Army of Achilles is almost a certain qualifier. 5 players still in the running for the other finals place, with Gudor and RKVED having the inside lane.

Group S: This group is too close to call. Dom Quebec leads by a nose, but 6 players still in with a realistic chance.

Group T: EckoJ and LFAW lead the pack. HomerJ, pjk and sd031091 all in with a chance.

Updated standings are in section 2 of the opening post.
Major FATHARRY

Latest Update.

Postby FATHARRY on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:32 am

Of the more than 900 games played so far in this tournament, only 38 still need to be completed before phase 2 draws to a close. 2 of the 8 places in the finals have already been filled, with 15 players still in the running for the remaining 6 spots.

Group Q: fatharry(11/14) and gordito(10/14) have qualified for the finals.

Group R: Army of Achilles(10/12) has qualified. Gudor(8/13) leads the race for 2nd spot with poisonous86(7/12) and humanist(7/12) hot on his heels. Duckers(5/10) and RKCVED(5/11) are still in with a chance.

Group S: This group is still as close as ever. Thrillomania(8/13) has the most points in the bank while Dom Quebec(6/9) has the fewest losses. Diamonds14(7/11), White Moose(6/10) and t-o-m(6/11) are all in there with a good shot at qualifying.

Group T: EckoJ(9/13) and HomerJay(9/14) have set the bench in this group. LFAW(7/11) need to win 2 of last 3 games and pjk(8/13) has to win his last game to force a playoff.

The full set of standings to date are in section 2 of the opening post.
Major FATHARRY

finals list starting to take shape

Postby FATHARRY on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:44 am

Congrats to Army of Achilles, EckoJ, fatharry and gordito who have all secured their places in the finals.
13 players are still in contention for the remaining 4 spots.

Group R: Army of Achilles(10/12) has qualified. Gudor(8/13) leads the race for 2nd spot with poisonous86(7/12) and humanist(7/12) hot on his heels. Duckers(5/10) and RKCVED(5/11) are still in with a chance.

Group S: Thrillomania(8/13) has the most points in the bank while Dom Quebec(6/9) has the fewest losses. Diamonds14(7/11), White Moose(7/11) and t-o-m(6/11) are all in with a shout.

Group T: EckoJ(10/14) has qualified. HomerJay and pjk (both on 9/14) will play-off for the second spot. LFAW (8/13) needs to win his last game to join the playoffs.

For those interested in stats: 465 out of 875 (53.1%) completed games have been won by the "home player". This is somewhat less than I would have expected, but is nonetheless statistically significant (significance level = 0.029) . Note though, that the advantage thus obtained by the choice of settings is less than the advantage of the start - which previous analyses have shown to be about 57% on the feudal map (i.e. if 2 players of equal ability play, the player with the start has a 57% chance of winning.) I suspect though, that certain settings are more influential than others and that some will yield a greater advantage. In particular I expect that the choice of adjacent forts and the choice of fog are likely to provide a substantial advantage against players who are not experienced at these settings. When I have some time, I will do a more in-depth analysis (probably a binomial logistic regression - for those who know the lingo), factoring in elements such as the start, player ability and specific settings choices. Watch this space :-)

I would be very interested in receiving some feedback. I plan to host another tourney sometime in the near future and I would like to know: what aspects of this tourney you think worked well, and (more importantly) what aspects can be improved. I don't take offense, so please speak your mind freely. Posts to this thread are probably the best vehicle for this feedback.

Regards to all

Harry
Major FATHARRY

Re: finals list starting to take shape

Postby owenator on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:58 am

FATHARRY wrote:Congrats to Army of Achilles, EckoJ, fatharry and gordito who have all secured their places in the finals.

Group S: Thrillomania(8/13) has the most points in the bank while Dom Quebec(6/9) has the fewest losses. Diamonds14(7/11), White Moose(7/11) and t-o-m(6/11) are all in with a shout.

Group T: EckoJ(10/14) has qualified. HomerJay and pjk (both on 9/14) will play-off for the second spot. LFAW (8/13) needs to win his last game to join the playoffs.

For those interested in stats: 465 out of 875 (53.1%) completed games have been won by the "home player". This is somewhat less than I would have expected, but is nonetheless statistically significant (significance level = 0.029) . Note though, that the advantage thus obtained by the choice of settings is less than the advantage of the start - which previous analyses have shown to be about 57% on the feudal map (i.e. if 2 players of equal ability play, the player with the start has a 57% chance of winning.) I suspect though, that certain settings are more influential than others and that some will yield a greater advantage. In particular I expect that the choice of adjacent forts and the choice of fog are likely to provide a substantial advantage against players who are not experienced at these settings. When I have some time, I will do a more in-depth analysis (probably a binomial logistic regression - for those who know the lingo), factoring in elements such as the start, player ability and specific settings choices. Watch this space :-)

I would be very interested in receiving some feedback. I plan to host another tourney sometime in the near future and I would like to know: what aspects of this tourney you think worked well, and (more importantly) what aspects can be improved. I don't take offense, so please speak your mind freely. Posts to this thread are probably the best vehicle for this feedback.

Regards to all

Harry

I think the tourney was run flawlessly and my personal thanks to you and Tammy who helped you out. Sorry, if there any obstacles....it was simply those who backed out or no-showed a game. Enjoyed the tourney very thoroughly and look forward to several more, and I'd be happy to help out any way I can if need be.
Lieutenant owenator

Re: finals list starting to take shape

Postby Humanist on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:05 pm

FATHARRY wrote:Congrats to Army of Achilles, EckoJ, fatharry and gordito who have all secured their places in the finals.

Regards to all

Harry

It was an excellent tourny Harry. I can't really fault it, it was well organised and all the updates were prompt and concise.

....can't wait til the next one!
Lieutenant Humanist

Re: feudal war 1v1 round robin. Phase 2 almost completed.

Postby FATHARRY on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:36 am

Thanks guys - I appreciate your comments.

I'm more looking for specific suggestions though? How should we do things differently next time ?
Major FATHARRY

Update

Postby FATHARRY on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:09 am

Things are starting to hot up in Group S. Thrillomania has 8/13 and Dom Quebec, White Moose and Diamonds 14 are level-pegging on 7/11.

In Group R, it looks like Humanist will take his last game against gudor, and RKCVED will beat poisonous, so we are all set for a 3-way tie for second place between poisonous, gudor and humanist. If RKCVED can pull off a nother 2 wins from his last 2 games and Duckers win 2 of his last 3 - we will have a 5 way tie, lol. (Achilles has won the group.) Of course if Duckers wins all 3 of his remaining games, he will be alone in 2nd place.

Meanwhile mudpuppy managed to take LFAW down in his last game in group T, putting LFAW out of the running. Homer_jay and pjk will shoot it out in a tie-break for 2nd place in the group behind EckoJ.

Full standings to date are in section 2 of the opening post.
Major FATHARRY

Update

Postby FATHARRY on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:00 am

Just 13 games to go in phase 2.

News from Group R is that Duckers has pulled out all the stops and won his last 3 games to reach 9/14. This puts gudor and humanist out of the running. Poisonous86, meanwhile has found some new life in the game he seemed to be losing against RKCVED. If Poisonous can pull off a win there, he will force a tiebreak with Duckers for 2nd position inthe group. If RK wins, then Duck will finish alone in 2nd and automatically qualify for the finals.

In Group S, DomQuebec has also been stepping on the gas peddle in the last day or 2 and churned out another couple of wins, including a key victory against White Moose. Dom(9/13) now looks very likely to make the finals, but no guarantees. Thrillomania (8/13) and Diamonds14 (7/11) are very much in the running, with outside chances for Moose(7/13) and t-o-m(6/11).

Full standings to date are in section 2 of the opening post.
Major FATHARRY

Update - Group S

Postby FATHARRY on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:23 am

Thrillomania has won his last game against Diamonds14 to finish on 9/14. This puts Diamonds and White Moose out of contention, and it seems very likely that DomQuebec(9/13) and Thrill will progress. Only t-o-m(6/11) has a chance of sneaking in and forcing a tie-break if he wins his last three games. t-o-m has yet to join these games - I give given him a deadline of 7.am GMT on Friday to join. Failing that, I will award the games by default to his opponents and Dom and Thrill will qualify for the finals.
Major FATHARRY

4 phase 2 games remaining. 10 players still in contention.

Postby FATHARRY on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:59 am

In Group S: Thischarmingham has beaten t-o-m, putting t-o-m out of the running, and so congratulations are due to DomQuebec and thrillomania who qualify for the finals.
InGroup R: The game between poisonous86 and RKCVED continues tp rage back and forth. Recall that poisonous needs to win this game to tie with Duckers for 2nd place in the group and force a tie-break.

The list of finalists so far, with 6 places confirmed and 2 still to be decided is:

Army of Achilles
DomQuebec
EckoJ
fatharry
gordito
thrillomania
pjk orhomer_jay
Duckers or Poisonous86

A number of players have performed well above their rank in this tournament, and to recognise this I have produced below a player list ranked by TOURNAMENT PERFORMANCE. This statistic is on the same scale as ranking points and takes strength of opponents into account. It is calculated as:

PERFORMANCE = AOR x sqrt[WR/(1-WR) ]

where AOR is the average ranking points of the player's opponents and WR is the player's win rate.

So, for example, humanist has performed at the level of a 3401 ranked player (high brigadier).
Note that humanist, bigragooch and gudor were among the top 8 performers in the tournament so far, but were unlucky enough not to make the finals. This is a combination of having better form in phase 1 than in phase 2, and - in the case of humanist and gudor - the misfortune of having to play in the toughest group in phase 2 (Group R).

The standard error on a performance estimate over 26 games (which is how many the top 32 players have played) is on average 340 performance points. This means a swing of about 340 performance points either way can be attributed to the luck of the dice/cards/drop/start . A couple of players have performed close to 1000 points above their ranking. There is a less than 1% chance of achieving this by "luck" alone.

PERFORMANCE RANKINGS
3401 humanist (win rate=77%, AOR=1863)
3369 Army of Achilles (win rate=78%, AOR=1801)
3124 poisonous86 (win rate=76%, AOR=1756)
3022 EckoJ (win rate=75%, AOR=1745)
2964 Bigragooch (win rate=73%, AOR=1799)
2937 homer_jay (win rate=73%, AOR=1782)
2828 duckers (win rate=69%, AOR=1885)
2759 gudor (win rate=65%, AOR=2007)
2747 fatharry (win rate=70%, AOR=1782)
2725 pjk (win rate=67%, AOR=1927)
2714 gordito (win rate=67%, AOR=1919)
2598 DomQuebec (win rate=72%, AOR=1620)
2551 DukeToshiro (win rate=69%, AOR=1701)
2527 thrillomania (win rate=65%, AOR=1838)
2483 zapusca007 (win rate=65%, AOR=1806)
2467 barterer2002 (win rate=62%, AOR=1951)
2352 thischarmingham (win rate=62%, AOR=1860)
2306 MEP (win rate=64%, AOR=1719)
2239 daydream (win rate=62%, AOR=1770)
2239 Diamonds14 (win rate=60%, AOR=1828)
2234 harvmax (win rate=58%, AOR=1913)
2232 the chosen (win rate=62%, AOR=1765)
2227 LFAW (win rate=62%, AOR=1761)
2224 RKCVED (win rate=60%, AOR=1816)
2194 Gigadakh (win rate=62%, AOR=1735)
2187 severs (win rate=58%, AOR=1873)
2151 Quase (win rate=58%, AOR=1818)
2146 Tammy DeLee (win rate=54%, AOR=1998)
2111 White Moose (win rate=62%, AOR=1669)
2092 Hamanu (win rate=58%, AOR=1768)
2077 mudpuppy (win rate=54%, AOR=1923)
2076 Gilly754 (win rate=57%, AOR=1798)
2056 ultrafit (win rate=57%, AOR=1781)
1995 danfrank (win rate=58%, AOR=1687)
1984 t-o-m (win rate=58%, AOR=1699)
1960 jrf2c (win rate=58%, AOR=1656)
1929 dynamic74 (win rate=62%, AOR=1525)
1925 joshsoccer7 (win rate=58%, AOR=1627)
1900 sd031091 (win rate=48%, AOR=1972)
1884 clericgs3 (win rate=50%, AOR=1884)
1847 kcstuds (win rate=58%, AOR=1561)
1843 -Maximus- (win rate=54%, AOR=1707)
1842 jackin_u_up (win rate=58%, AOR=1557)
1810 General Steve (win rate=50%, AOR=1810)
1790 moneymatt (win rate=54%, AOR=1657)
1769 mrbang (win rate=50%, AOR=1769)
1762 acores2005 (win rate=50%, AOR=1762)
1759 Peter Perfect (win rate=50%, AOR=1759)
1756 rom_tobins (win rate=50%, AOR=1756)
1752 cj7 (win rate=50%, AOR=1752)
1699 Juls (win rate=50%, AOR=1699)
1696 CancerMerchant (win rate=50%, AOR=1696)
1670 kronic69 (win rate=50%, AOR=1670)
1661 elmerfudd (win rate=50%, AOR=1661)
1657 punos (win rate=50%, AOR=1657)
1645 xruan (win rate=50%, AOR=1645)
1644 badlouie (win rate=50%, AOR=1644)
1632 familyguy#1 (win rate=50%, AOR=1632)
1611 danodukebb (win rate=44%, AOR=1817)
1575 owenator (win rate=50%, AOR=1575)
1575 hwhrhett (win rate=42%, AOR=1839)
1565 elfcasino (win rate=42%, AOR=1852)
1542 dyrtydog (win rate=50%, AOR=1542)
1537 DaEagles4Life (win rate=38%, AOR=1944)
1529 siutiapik (win rate=42%, AOR=1809)
1526 dominator7 (win rate=50%, AOR=1526)
1510 Me-Da-Minority (win rate=50%, AOR=1510)
1504 amoxy (win rate=42%, AOR=1780)
1492 Daviedoo (win rate=50%, AOR=1492)
1491 Jack_Strap (win rate=42%, AOR=1764)
1447 hado911 (win rate=42%, AOR=1712)
1425 BarbieB (win rate=42%, AOR=1686)
1418 ilarry (win rate=42%, AOR=1678)
1404 Colossus (win rate=42%, AOR=1661)
1385 heavenly29 (win rate=42%, AOR=1639)
1367 sailorjoe (win rate=42%, AOR=1618)
1365 beatfactor (win rate=42%, AOR=1615)
1351 psilotum (win rate=42%, AOR=1599)
1325 paragon42 (win rate=33%, AOR=1873)
1323 hatta76 (win rate=31%, AOR=1985)
1321 blindmatt (win rate=33%, AOR=1868)
1315 vxguard (win rate=33%, AOR=1859)
1275 blackberrypicker (win rate=33%, AOR=1803)
1258 R0k0v (win rate=33%, AOR=1779)
1244 aaron234 (win rate=33%, AOR=1760)
1227 andreas1977 (win rate=33%, AOR=1736)
1217 Bighab (win rate=33%, AOR=1721)
1216 RedRover23B (win rate=33%, AOR=1719)
1206 dimeat (win rate=33%, AOR=1706)
1187 burger01 (win rate=33%, AOR=1679)
1147 delboy01 (win rate=33%, AOR=1622)
1136 Godd (win rate=33%, AOR=1606)
1099 guinniboy (win rate=33%, AOR=1554)
1081 Johnny Rockets (win rate=25%, AOR=1873)
1055 Drunk_Idiot (win rate=25%, AOR=1827)
1036 millertime13 (win rate=25%, AOR=1794)
1000 Plowable_Earth (win rate=25%, AOR=1732)
995 inonzuk (win rate=25%, AOR=1723)
970 phantomzero (win rate=25%, AOR=1680)
955 darin44 (win rate=25%, AOR=1655)
936 mwcc (win rate=25%, AOR=1621)
820 yazoochick (win rate=17%, AOR=1833)
794 Captain Jack (win rate=17%, AOR=1775)
781.0585445 lemurkind (win rate=17%, AOR=1747)
780 blackraptor58 (win rate=17%, AOR=1745)
776 DJPatrick (win rate=17%, AOR=1734)
755 mortarmaggot64 (win rate=17%, AOR=1689)
723 jarnalf77 (win rate=17%, AOR=1617)
597 Keranos (win rate=8%, AOR=1981)
533 thedoggdakdes (win rate=8%, AOR=1769)
532 Ptoley (win rate=8%, AOR=1764)
366 solar (win rate=0%, AOR=1754)
Major FATHARRY

Postby Army of Achilles on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:11 am

interesting stats Harry. Just hope I can play at that level in the finals :D

I'm developing a history of choking in the big matches after finishing 3rd in both of my tournaments
Lieutenant Army of Achilles

Postby Bigragooch on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:45 am

I like your stats Harry and the work you have put in to the tournament and the frequent updates. I will definitely join future ones you host. BTW - I blame my missing the finals on not being able to tell the difference between Barbarians 4 and Lake Minstello 4. Oh well, I mix up countries all the time on that map, I should know better. Good luck finalists.
Colonel Bigragooch

Postby FATHARRY on Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:33 am

Bigragooch wrote:I like your stats Harry and the work you have put in to the tournament and the frequent updates. I will definitely join future ones you host. BTW - I blame my missing the finals on not being able to tell the difference between Barbarians 4 and Lake Minstello 4. Oh well, I mix up countries all the time on that map, I should know better. Good luck finalists.

lol Ragooch - I think we've all made that mistake - certainly I have many times - I think you mean barb6 and lm6. The other one is rebel2 and lm2, lol. I'm sure a lot of us have taken a conquering army into rebel - all set to clean it out and win the game - only to send the whole conquering army onto LM2 - with nowhere to go except the maze of neutrals from fol to RoM.
Major FATHARRY

PreviousNext

Return to Completed 2008