Conquer Club

Happy 101st Birthday The Greatest Sci-fi Writer Of All Time!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Happy 101st Birthday The Greatest Sci-fi Writer Of All T

Postby KoolBak on Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:27 am

So anyone else here with a reading problem? Anyone match or beat an estimated 4,000 books? Curious....

I absolutely love amazon unlimited. $10 a month and all the books you can read. SO many really good indie authors, and they're real people you can correspond with. Great time to be a reader....

I'd have to say Asimov I guess, but, like music, at the time it was difficult to be put in front of the public eye. Far fewer published authors then than there are now. Read all his major shit by the time I was 12 and didn't enjoy enough to read again.

Clark's Rama was probly my fave from that era.

Recently, as far as a memorable series goes, I'd have to say the Silver Ships by Jucha pops out as a great one....
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal KoolBak

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:07 pm

Stephanie Meyer is the greatest sci fi writer to bless our meaningless existence.

Any other opinion is invalid and dumb.
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Ok, so some stuff goes over your head?

No not here anyway. He never said they were forced.

Whoosh
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby KoolBak on Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:32 pm

She wrote, what...ONE scifi book that's kinda scifi? Pffft. You like her cause they made fucking movies outta her shit so you could actually digest it. The day you read a book is the day Saxi and JP hug it out.

She gargles tartar sauce and you're still a punk. :lol:

AND:
Corporal KoolBak

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:11 pm

For me personally, Bradbury would fall into the 'overrated' club along with Lovecraft...

Philip K Dick would be in my Top 3... maybe even #1.

Kurt Vonnegut is up near the very top of my list too, haven't seen his name mentioned. Asimov is probably the 'most important' but I didn't find him all that enjoyable to read.

In terms of pure enjoyment, Id agree with the person who wrote douglas adams too... hitchhikers guide was a childhood favorite
Last edited by mookiemcgee on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saxitoxin wrote:deaths among the unvaccinated are higher.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:14 pm

KoolBak wrote:
She gargles tartar sauce

Excellent euphemism!
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby KoolBak on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:37 pm

:lol: thank you!

Credit where credit is due - A quote from the literary giant, SpongeBob SquarePants!

AND:
Corporal KoolBak

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:39 am

KoolBak wrote:She wrote, what...ONE scifi book that's kinda scifi? Pffft. You like her cause they made fucking movies outta her shit so you could actually digest it. The day you read a book is the day Saxi and JP hug it out.

You're just upset that her books are too hard for you to read.

I get it though, you come from a land before time. Books didn't exist back in your day.
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:

Whoosh

Postby KoolBak on Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:27 am

You apparently missed this:

I read a minimum of 2 books a week, for 48 years now.

Keep trying :lol:

AND:
Corporal KoolBak

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:27 pm

Fake news!
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:

Whoosh

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:41 pm

DirtyDishSoap wrote:
KoolBak wrote:She wrote, what...ONE scifi book that's kinda scifi? Pffft. You like her cause they made fucking movies outta her shit so you could actually digest it. The day you read a book is the day Saxi and JP hug it out.

You're just upset that her books are too hard for you to read.

I get it though, you come from a land before time. Books didn't exist back in your day.

Land before time... good call, excellent Sci-fi and totally my kind of read!!!!

Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:37 pm

OK, looking for a few lists of great Sci-Fi Short Stories.

This list looks interesting. Nightfall is a good story; I do recall this one:

#1 NIGHTFALL by Isaac Asimov (1941)
Voted by the SFWA as the greatest sci-fi short story of all time. A classic tale of wonderment, paranoia, insanity, and introspection. It masterfully dives into one’s deepest fears and opens the mind to the wonderous possibilities just outside our view. There is also a novel version of this classic; how-ever I would recommend the short story over the novel. Do not miss this one! Asimov is a wonderful writer and this story brings together the very best spirit of sci-fi.

#5 THE MILLION YEAR PICNIC by Ray Bradbury (1948)
Bradbury’s “The Martian Chronicles” is a classic compendium of marvelous sci-fi short stories. Although his short story “Mars is Heaven (The Third Expedition)” made the top twenty in the SWFA vote, I would highly recommend the final story “The Million Year Picnic”. Bradbury has a unique writing style; with absolute moments of sheer verbal artistry. Take the time to read “The Martian Chronicles” in its entirety and you will more fully appreciate the superb and poignant ending in the final story.

#6 THE LAST QUESTION by Isaac Asimov (1956)
This very short story is classic Asimov, with an interesting storyline and a powerful thought-provoking ending. Although not contained in the SFWA Hall of Fame compendium, you can find this story in another old release “Nine Tomorrows” by Asimov, which is in itself a very fine collection of short stories by the master writer. This particular short story was supposedly his favorite and one of the very best sci-fi has to offer.

#7 A WALK IN THE DARK by Arthur C. Clarke (1950)
The very popular Arthur C. Clarke has legions of followers and placed two stories in the top fifteen of all time (“The Star” and “The Nine Billion Names of God”). With an interesting, whimsical style, coupled with a knack for making the technical seem understandable, he is one of the icons of science fiction. His short story “A Walk in the Dark” is a classic “bump in the night” scary story with an ironic ending. You can find this and other stories in the compendium “The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke”, also a must-have for your library.

#8 MICROCOSMIC GOD by Theodore Sturgeon (1941)
Pure old fashion sci-fi is the name of the game in this story. A classic villain versus unwitting hero tale; highly entertaining with first-rate sci-fi imagination. This story was a top-five entry in the SFWA hall of fame.

#9 RESCUE PARTY by Arthur C. Clarke (1946)
A very appealing story that highlights the indomitable spirit of mankind in the face of enormous challenge. The ending is very satisfying. This story is also available in the “Collected Works of Arthur C. Clarke”.

Last Words On Science Fiction Short Stories
Those with a background in science fiction will probably disagree with my choices. That’s OK. The beauty of science fiction is the wonder and sheer delight of having your understanding expanded into new, thought-provoking areas. Hence, there are no best stories, only those stories which most appeal to you, the reader. For those not familiar with these works by the “icons” of the genre, welcome aboard and prepare to enjoy many hours of enjoyment and satisfaction.

I do not recall reading #6, but without more details, I cannot be sure.

Here BELOW is PART my first FOUND list (NOT my list, so that you know). I only listed one of those 15 stories below.

15 SCIENCE FICTION SHORT STORIES TO TAKE YOU OUT OF THIS WORLD
Lyndsie Manusos Jan 9, 2020

“MOUNTAIN WAYS” BY URSULA K. LE GUIN, CLARKESWORLD
As one of my favorite writers of all time and as one of the best science fiction writers of all time, it is my duty to include one of Ursula K. Le Guin’s stories on this list. “Mountain Ways” originally appeared in Asimov’s Science Fiction in 1996. Then, it was reprinted in Clarkesworld‘s March 2014 issue. It’s somewhat of a comedy story about relationships and the planet the story is set on is a location Le Guin used in a few of her stories.

The story begins with a note to the reader, laying out the different types of relationships on the planet O. At the end of the note, there’s the line “It’s just as complicated as it sounds, but aren’t most marriages?” This sets the tone for the rest of the story, which is indeed complicated, but we all know that from Le Guin, complicated still makes for a great story.

Le Guin is the only author I know; but this may be a list of more recent stories, NOT sure, THO.
https://bookriot.com/science-fiction-short-stories/

Here is a more complete list; I merely picked a few based on authors that I have read. I will need to find the anthology books to find exactly titles.

Title, Author, first published in, Year
I,_Robot Isaac Asimov Gnome Press 1950

In the Year 2889 Jules Verne and Michel Verne 1889

Lest Darkness Fall and Related Stories L. Sprague de Camp Phoenix Pick 2011
Lest We Remember Isaac Asimov Asimov's Science Fiction 1982
Let There Be Light (Clarke short story) Arthur C. Clarke Playboy 1957
Let There Be Light (Heinlein short story) Robert A. Heinlein Super Science Stories 1940

Think Like a Dinosaur James Patrick Kelly Asimov's Science Fiction 1995
Think! (short story) Isaac Asimov Asimov's Science Fiction 1977
Thiotimoline Isaac Asimov Analog Science Fiction 1948
Thirsty God Margaret St. Clair The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction 1953

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_science_fiction_short_stories
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:41 pm

One more list; I love Flowers for Algernon; Nightfall is on THIS LIST, too.

Best Science Fiction Stories Ever: The List

Alfred Bester, "Fondly Fahrenheit"
William Tenn, "Time in Advance"
Connie Willis, "Daisy in the Sun"
Lewis Padgett, "Time Locker"
Isaac Asimov, "Nightfall"
Anson MacDonald (Heinlein), "By His Bootstraps"
Cordwainer Smith, "The Lady Who Sailed the Soul"
Henry Bates, "Farewell to the Master"
Murray Leinster, "Pipeline to Pluto"
Daniel Keyes, "Flowers for Algernon"

https://hobbylark.com/fandoms/Best-Science-Fiction-Short-Story

Same Source:

This might be obvious, but these are ten of the best science fiction stories ever in my own opinion. It was anxiety-producing to narrow it down this much, as the body of work is so huge. They are in no particular order—except the first one. That one really is the best.

What you'll find: Short reviews of the stories and why I Iiked them.

How I Picked This List
Here are my criteria for this "best science fiction short stories" list. I based inclusion on whether or not many of these factors were to the story's credit:

I read the story (with one exception).
I loved the story.
The story was fun to read. It wasn't depressing (with one exception).
The story stayed with me—I thought about it for a long time, either in my nightmares or giggling about it spontaneously at work.
The story was well-written. I was either not aware of any major writing flaws or I got a shiver of delight at the way the words are written.
The story gripped me and didn't let go. I never thought, "I've got to go get my laundry out of the dryer" in the middle of it.
The story made me feel a sense of wonder. Even decades after it was written, in the age of the iPad and Android and suchlike.
The story is important. It did something new that changed the way science fiction was written afterward, or it changed society.

5. "Nightfall" by Isaac Asimov
I'll probably be lambasted for not putting this one in the number 1 spot.
Sorry. "Nightfall," published first in Astounding Science Fiction in 1941, is a classic science fiction short story, no doubt about it. Asimov made it into a novel, too. I haven't read the novel. But this story really is mind-blowing. Devastating. But in a good way.

It's not the writing. "Nightfall" is easy and enjoyable to read, but typical of Isaac Asimov, the writing is not as tight as it could be, and the dialogue wanders a bit. It's a tad long for what it is. The characters, though well-defined, lack that spark that would make them truly likable.

But all that doesn't matter. Because the ending is really unexpected—or it was, for me—and has a mind-blowing effect, even now. It's just not what you expect, and you're led to expect a lot of different things.

Since "Nightfall," other stories and films have been written using the premise of a world that never sees night except once in a rare aeon. "Nightfall" is probably the reason why. I saw one such movie, and it was so forgettable, I forget the title. "Nightfall" is not forgettable. "Nightfall" is an example of how wonderful a "what if" story can be if handled by a born storyteller.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:07 pm

We now have at least two discussion threads that involve Science Fiction books, novels, stories, and the like. I even discussed the movie Contact in the Astronomy thread.

I think I will keep sci-fi discussions here in this thread. Is that OKAY, Duk?
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,