Conquer Club

What video/computer game are you currently playing?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: What video/computer game are you currently playing?

Postby rishaed on Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:04 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:If someone has a much stronger game that I should be playing, please let me know, but I'm really choosing between these three "worlds" (for lack of a better term).

Ever played Wizardry 8? If not, it seems like the sort of open-ended world game you'd enjoy.

(Never mind...just noted you specifically mentioned "Xbox games", and so my suggestion doesn't apply, I don't believe.)

That is not to say I won't play PC games and I do like my PC RPGs (i.e. Baldur's Gate, BGII, Neverwinter Nights). I'll give it a shot.

How are things?

You have Dark Souls yet? For an RPG its pretty good.
I would recommend both 1 and 2....
1 is much cheaper, but if you wait they may have 2 on sale for a really good price.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:10 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Ever played Wizardry 8? If not, it seems like the sort of open-ended world game you'd enjoy.
(Never mind...just noted you specifically mentioned "Xbox games", and so my suggestion doesn't apply, I don't believe.)

That is not to say I won't play PC games and I do like my PC RPGs (i.e. Baldur's Gate, BGII, Neverwinter Nights). I'll give it a shot.

I think you'll enjoy it.

thegreekdog wrote:How are things?

Pretty good. Our competitive drill season starts next weekend, so it's about to get
pretty busy on that front, but a fun kind of busy.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby TheProwler on Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:08 am

Playing Crysis 2 on the PC. 30 minutes or so at a time is all I enjoy....

So far, I found Crysis better...but maybe I am just getting bored with FPSs...?
El Capitan X wrote:The people in flame wars just seem to get dimmer and dimmer. Seriously though, I love your style, always a good read.
General TheProwler

Postby mandalorian2298 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:10 pm

I am finally going to finish Baldur's Gate 2 and then ToB. I'm actually kind of glad the I put it off for so long because in the Enhanced Edition there is finally a decent thief NPC who is not Yoshimo (I will say no more so that I don't spoil it).

My party is

Green Tide (Sorcerer)
Minsc (living legend, also Ranger)
Mazzy (Fighter who thinks she's a Knight)
Valygar (Ranger, whom Mazzy thinks is her squire)
Hexxat (Thief)
Viconia (Priest, whom Hexxat just tried to talk into some sweet saphic love).
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Talapus wrote:I'm far more pissed that mandy and his thought process were right from the get go....damn you mandy.
Lieutenant mandalorian2298

Postby muy_thaiguy on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:36 pm

Finally figured out Skyrim Script Extender, which means I can now also have SkyUI and other mods. Like one where you kill an enemy with a quick thrust, and it looks like their chest explodes.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:40 pm

mandalorian2298 wrote:I am finally going to finish Baldur's Gate 2 and then ToB. I'm actually kind of glad the I put it off for so long because in the Enhanced Edition there is finally a decent thief NPC who is not Yoshimo (I will say no more so that I don't spoil it).

My party is

Green Tide (Sorcerer)
Hexxat (Thief)

Make way, evil! I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:33 pm

I've been considering getting into the Total War series.

Anybody have recommendations for which one would be best for a beginner? It probably shouldn't be one of the newest ones, either. I have a gaming computer, but it's a low end one. Put it this way, I can only run Skyrim on medium graphic settings, and even then, I don't get the best of frame rates. I can however run Fallout: New Vegas on the ultra-high setting.

So, any suggestions?
Major tkr4lf

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:44 am

Rome Total War. Older, but still very good. Medieval Total War and Shogun Total War are okay, but Rome is where it really takes off. Medieval 2 Total War is also good (and siege/artillery weapons are actually worthwhile in it as opposed to games before).

So, Rome and Medieval 2 Total War are my recommendations. There are also cheat codes for those. And an interesting one for Rome Total War where you can spawn in gigantic elephants (like the Mumakil in Lord of the Rings Return of the King big), though they on occasion crash the game to the desktop.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:35 am

muy_thaiguy wrote:Rome Total War. Older, but still very good. Medieval Total War and Shogun Total War are okay, but Rome is where it really takes off. Medieval 2 Total War is also good (and siege/artillery weapons are actually worthwhile in it as opposed to games before).

So, Rome and Medieval 2 Total War are my recommendations. There are also cheat codes for those. And an interesting one for Rome Total War where you can spawn in gigantic elephants (like the Mumakil in Lord of the Rings Return of the King big), though they on occasion crash the game to the desktop.

Cool, I'll check them out.

Thanks.
Major tkr4lf

Postby mandalorian2298 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:52 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
mandalorian2298 wrote:I am finally going to finish Baldur's Gate 2 and then ToB. I'm actually kind of glad the I put it off for so long because in the Enhanced Edition there is finally a decent thief NPC who is not Yoshimo (I will say no more so that I don't spoil it).

My party is

Green Tide (Sorcerer)
Hexxat (Thief)

Make way, evil! I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!

Go for the eyes, Tail! Go for the eyes! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

That game would only be 2/3 as good without Minsc.
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Talapus wrote:I'm far more pissed that mandy and his thought process were right from the get go....damn you mandy.
Lieutenant mandalorian2298

Postby pancakemix on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:43 am

muy_thaiguy wrote:Rome Total War. Older, but still very good. Medieval Total War and Shogun Total War are okay, but Rome is where it really takes off. Medieval 2 Total War is also good (and siege/artillery weapons are actually worthwhile in it as opposed to games before).

I actually really liked the Shogun 1/Medieval 1 setup for the Total War games. Granted, I put countless hours into both Medieval and Rome, but I really liked the board-game style interaction on that one. They are, however, really hard to find these days.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:28 pm

tkr4lf wrote:

Cool, I'll check them out.

Thanks.

I'm partial to Rome. Medieval is good. Definitely download the Stainless Steel mod for medieval.
Private 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:49 pm

So, I started playing Rome 2. I wasn't sure if my rig could run it or not, it being one of, if not the, newest one, but it does!

Very fun game. Very addictive. It definitely has that "just one more turn" addictiveness of civ.

Isn't there a Shogun 2? Is that one pretty comparable to Rome 2?
Major tkr4lf

Postby muy_thaiguy on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:48 pm

tkr4lf wrote:So, I started playing Rome 2. I wasn't sure if my rig could run it or not, it being one of, if not the, newest one, but it does!

Very fun game. Very addictive. It definitely has that "just one more turn" addictiveness of civ.

Isn't there a Shogun 2? Is that one pretty comparable to Rome 2?

Funny you should mention Shogun 2. I just got it recently. And having never played Rome 2 and only dabbled with Empire Total War, Shogun 2 was a pretty big change. Most of the others I have played were Rome, Medieval 2, Medieval, and Shogun. With a little bit of Empires.

The Good-
Shogun (so far) keeps you in check making sure you don't race ahead of the other factions with their tech tree and special resources you need to build your castles and such. Whereas in previous installments, it was more about money and patience. You still need those, but you also need the resources as well.
The other factions keep an eye on you the entire time. Making sure you don't get too ahead of yourself. And it can be a bit frustrating at times.
Overall gameplay is enjoyable, once you get used to the new system.

The bad-No real different units. Yeah, each faction has their own specialty, like archers, which makes them cheaper to produce and quicker to get. But in reality, the differences are minimal at best. That's what holds back Shogun 2 Total War. No unit diversity between factions.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:17 pm

I'm looking forward to Cities Skylines -- it has the potential to be what the new Sim City wasn't:

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby tkr4lf on Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:35 pm

So, I'm certainly enjoying TW: Rome 2, but a change of scenery sounds nice. Currently downloading TW: Shogun 2. Hoping its as cool as Rome 2. I know I enjoyed the hell out of the Sengoku mod for Civ 4, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one.
Major tkr4lf

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:08 pm

tkr4lf wrote:So, I'm certainly enjoying TW: Rome 2, but a change of scenery sounds nice. Currently downloading TW: Shogun 2. Hoping its as cool as Rome 2. I know I enjoyed the hell out of the Sengoku mod for Civ 4, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one.

There are some mods there for it, some much needed, that you can easily download from steam (assuming that's where you are downloading it from) as the campaign AI otherwise cheats. The most recommended one out there is the Darth Mod. It increases the unit size automatically, adjusts the game's ai, and a few other things.

Also, just a heads up, there's no real unique units. Just factions that specialize in archers, or cavalry, or something else. Like, for example, the Takeda specialize in cavalry, meaning you can get Takeda Light/Naginata/Bow/etc cheaper than the regular units without any penalty.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby muy_thaiguy on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:39 pm

Interesting news for those of you that play modded skyrim.
http://www.bethblog.com/
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:32 am

I have always wanted to explore MC Escher paintings and other optical illusions. The game "The Bridge" available now in the Weekly Humble Bundle, allows me to do just that.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:29 am

DoomYoshi wrote:I have always wanted to explore MC Escher paintings and other optical illusions. The game "The Bridge" available now in the Weekly Humble Bundle, allows me to do just that.

Yeah, it is a decent little game.

--Andy

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:55 pm

I just purchased City: Skylines . I am just slightly below the minimum specs, but I was able to start it on my laptop, so I think I should be able to play it, probably at reduced graphic settings.

If any of you have wanted to play a new city builder game, and have been burned by the always online or small city size of Sim City 2013, this might be the game for you. I've watched a few Lets Plays and read reviews, and it looks pretty great, and has a lot more potential to get better as well. IT has a metacritic score of 89 right now: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cities-skylines It is also reasonably priced at $30.00 USD -- but if you scour some Deal Websites, you can get it for cheaper or with a discount voucher: http://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/i ... esskylines

Kotaku Review: http://kotaku.com/cities-skylines-the-k ... 1690432932
IGN Review: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/10/ ... nes-review

--Andy

Postby macbone on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:58 am

That looks really cool, Andy! I wish ios had a decent city builder. I'd love a port of Sim City 2000 on the App Store, but EA is hellbent on pushing its F2P model.
Colonel macbone

Postby TheProwler on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:44 am

I've started a game called Darksiders. 3rd person fighting game with adventure elements. Pretty good so far...only a few hours into it.
El Capitan X wrote:The people in flame wars just seem to get dimmer and dimmer. Seriously though, I love your style, always a good read.
General TheProwler

Postby mrswdk on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:55 am

Advances Wars 2.

Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:42 am

I've been playing some GTA: SA again. Love this game. Currently in the process of taking over all the gang areas in Los Santos right now. Too bad they're all going to be taken away and I'll have to win them all back later in the game.
Major tkr4lf

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,