Conquer Club

BAR-B-QUE puts people in a good mood

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: BAR-B-QUE puts people in a good mood

Postby 2dimes on Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:35 pm

I'm not anti carb by any stretch of the imagination but corn bread is not my first choice, the family loves it. My wife can make excellent corn bread. You're right too many places miss the mark.

There was another very good place in Calgary on 4th street SW. I think it was called La Belle Southern Kitchen. Semi fancy but with big wooden picnic tables. I think they did not fit the location. Sure enough they closed down.

It's funny how many places can't keep up with chains like Montana's Smoke house and Famous Daves. I like Montana's but I don't order brisket. I have had good brisket from Famous Dave's in Kalispell at lunch time. Tends to be dry later.

I have not made it to Jane Bond's Calgary since they moved. They were not bad, I was only mildly disappointed.

My favorite BBQ in Alberta is in Saint Albert. https://www.thatbarbqplace.com
We checked it out because it was close to where we were and we needed some lunch, hoped it wouldn't suck. It was spectacular! As soon as you opened the door it smelled right and it was.

There is also a very good place in Missoula Montana. https://www.thenotoriouspigbbq.com
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby mookiemcgee on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:01 pm

We have one chain place in town called Dickey's, but I've never tried it (I've heard very bad things, I think the food is cooked somewhere centralized and shipped out to the restaurants to unfreeze and warm up). They have a famous dave's near m'ladies folks place, for a chain I thought it was pretty decent but I think i had 'burnt ends' which were tasty

I don't get out to Edmonton much, but I'll put it on the list for someday... I have not been to Montana in 20 years either.

If you make it to Houston, Pinkertons, Gatlins and Goode Co BBQ all beat the brisket anywhere else I've ever been. The locals told me the best spots are in Austin but I've never had the time when I'm out that way.
saxitoxin wrote:deaths among the unvaccinated are higher.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:26 pm

You guys should try some Alabama White Sauce at some point in your life. Mmmmmm.........
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby 2dimes on Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:07 pm

If I could I would tour around checking out all the southern states looking for good BBQ.

Mookie those Houston suggestions sound great. When we went to Texas I thought every BBQ place would need to be increadible. We went to a few that were just ok.

In Houston we went to Luling City market. It was good and inexpensive. I would go back but I suspect it isn't top ten there. I think the ribs were my favorite item.

Years ago there was a guy in Kalispell that just set up in his van on an empty lot. Spectacular but of course he disappeared.

This company builds cabinet charcoal smokers in Oregon. They look decent.
http://www.cascadesmokers.com/smokers/the-que-meister/
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby HitRed on Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:16 pm

Royal Enfield Bullet with Bar-B-Que side car

I'm inspired :mrgreen:
Major HitRed

Postby 2dimes on Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:49 pm

That's pretty cool. The stack should be on the back so it does not fill with junk or blowout the fire when you ride.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby 2dimes on Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:04 pm

The birds are chirping.

Time to bust out the smoker soon and try these dry rub recipes

https://www.vindulge.com/ultimate-homemade-dry-rub/.

1 cup brown sugar.
1/2 cup kosher salt (we use Diamond Crystal kosher salt)
4 tablespoons smoked paprika.
2 tablespoons coarse black pepper.
1/2 tablespoon cumin.
1/2 tablespoon onion powder.
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder.
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper.

https://heygrillhey.com/best-dry-rub-for-ribs/

1/4 cup brown sugar.
2 teaspoons Kosher salt.
2 teaspoons black pepper.
2 teaspoons smoked paprika.
1 teaspoon garlic powder.
1 teaspoon onion powder.
1 teaspoon ground mustard.
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Later on.. grabbed two racks of pork back ribs. Going to put a little French's mustard on them then coat them in rub and cook them at 225F.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:26 am

BBQ is often eaten with LOTS of other folks (Pre-COVID Lockdown) so these gatherings of eating and talking are done in good times and people are in a good mood when eating BBQ. Makes sense to me.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,