Conquer Club

coronavirus - The Legacy

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: coronavirus - is this real or hype?

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:45 am

Huawei causing a ruckus in Serbian protests:

Meanwhile, a kid with an overfull diaper stands off against a bunch of cops who just wet themselves. The streets are filthy and China is to blame.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:43 am

Among the more interesting offbeat theories:
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/colby-cosh-does-humanity-have-an-unseen-ally-against-covid
The kernel of their idea is an empirical observation: in the early days after SARS-CoV-2 began to spread, countries close to China, whatever the size of their populations, had the most known cases of COVID-19. This is natural to the point of being obvious. The part that seems to demand an explanation is that much later in the pandemic — by which they really mean “now” — the correlation flipped the other way: it is now countries furthest from China that have had the most cases, and the number of cases in each country is correlated closely to their size. “Furthest” is measured here according to air-travel connections with China — an epidemiological proxy validated for purposes like this in the past — so that Toronto, for example, is considered much “closer” to China than Calgary.

What if, the paper asks, there were a slower-moving herald coronavirus that spread in Asia first — one that causes minor symptoms or none at all, but that imparts some immunity or resistance to SARS-CoV-2? Speculation about other coronaviruses possibly having this effect has endured throughout the pandemic, but the Israeli pair argue that they can use epidemological models to fit the pattern of global spread to a more specific scenario.

They postulate a herald virus with a natural epidemiological doubling time something like 40 per cent lower than that of SARS-CoV-2; it would have crossed to humans within China, but far from Wuhan (and possibly near Vietnam, which has pretty much just shrugged off COVID-19). If this happened, it must have taken place two or three months before the crossover of the second, crueller virus that we know about.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby mrswdk on Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:00 am

lol. Even that article calls their claims 'probably untrue'.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:21 am

mrswdk wrote:lol. Even that article calls their claims 'probably untrue'.

When one speculates, the odds are that one is wrong. That isn't a reason not to do it. From wild speculations, valid theories eventually arise.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:25 am

Can we call the herald virus Silver Surfer?
saxitoxin wrote:deaths among the unvaccinated are higher.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby mrswdk on Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:40 am

From wild speculation, misleading headlines that get forwarded around Facebook by anti-maskers arise. Just look at the article's dumpster fire of a comments section.

I'm not sure why the couple in your article felt that a super complicated theory about undetectable super antibodies was needed to explain why China and neighbouring countries got hit less hard and recovered first.

"On Saturday I got a cold, took some paracetomol and got some sleep. I've now just about recovered. Then this morning my wife got the same cold, and this evening she still has it even though I'm already better! It must be the work of invisible nano soldiers burrowing into her veins with syringes full of virus!"
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby jimboston on Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:51 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Among the more interesting offbeat theories:
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/colby-cosh-does-humanity-have-an-unseen-ally-against-covid
The kernel of their idea is an empirical observation: in the early days after SARS-CoV-2 began to spread, countries close to China, whatever the size of their populations, had the most known cases of COVID-19. This is natural to the point of being obvious. The part that seems to demand an explanation is that much later in the pandemic — by which they really mean “now” — the correlation flipped the other way: it is now countries furthest from China that have had the most cases, and the number of cases in each country is correlated closely to their size. “Furthest” is measured here according to air-travel connections with China — an epidemiological proxy validated for purposes like this in the past — so that Toronto, for example, is considered much “closer” to China than Calgary.

What if, the paper asks, there were a slower-moving herald coronavirus that spread in Asia first — one that causes minor symptoms or none at all, but that imparts some immunity or resistance to SARS-CoV-2? Speculation about other coronaviruses possibly having this effect has endured throughout the pandemic, but the Israeli pair argue that they can use epidemological models to fit the pattern of global spread to a more specific scenario.

They postulate a herald virus with a natural epidemiological doubling time something like 40 per cent lower than that of SARS-CoV-2; it would have crossed to humans within China, but far from Wuhan (and possibly near Vietnam, which has pretty much just shrugged off COVID-19). If this happened, it must have taken place two or three months before the crossover of the second, crueller virus that we know about.

I speculated this 2-3 months ago in this forum.
Sergeant 1st Class jimboston

Postby mrswdk on Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:57 am

I don't think that's something you want to be admitting to, jim.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby jimboston on Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:41 am

mrswdk wrote:I don't think that's something you want to be admitting to, jim.

Pre-exposure to other / regional Covid virus‘ MUST be part of. the explanation.
It’s completely logical and explains a lot.

Not saying it’s the ONLY factor.

Postby mrswdk on Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:04 pm

You don't think it could just be because East and South East Asian countries implemented more effective responses to COVID-19 than countries like Brazil ('the virus doesn't matter') or the US ('we need to keep the economy open')?

A country is doing better at something than the US?? It must be a conspiracy!!!
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby jimboston on Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:04 pm

mrswdk wrote:You don't think it could just be because East and South East Asian countries implemented more effective responses to COVID-19 than countries like Brazil ('the virus doesn't matter') or the US ('we need to keep the economy open')?

A country is doing better at something than the US?? It must be a conspiracy!!!

That’s definitely a factor too.

Trying to understand how virus’ work is not a ‘conspiracy’. If some Asian countries/people had exposure to like virus’ through natural processes... and therefore had some additional immunity... that’s not a conspiracy. It’s a fact that China has dealt with outbreaks of previous Covid virus’ that never made their way to “the west”... that’s not a conspiracy, “the west” didn’t want SARS or its’ cousins. However the fact that there was some exposure in the East does make some baseline immune response likely.

Postby mrswdk on Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:48 pm

It's also possible that COVID is specifically targeting white people because the Chinese government genetically engineered it to do so, but that doesn't mean that theory is worth giving any serious consideration too.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby jimboston on Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:35 pm

mrswdk wrote:It's also possible that COVID is specifically targeting white people because the Chinese government genetically engineered it to do so, but that doesn't mean that theory is worth giving any serious consideration too.

See... THAT is a ridiculous Conspiracy Theory not grounded on any evidence or science.

My comment is speculative based in part on basic science and how the facts have played out thus far.

Do you understand the difference? It seems like you don’t.

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:38 am

My comment is also speculative in part on basic science and how the facts have played out thus far. It has been well-publicized that in the UK ethnic minorities have been affected more severely by COVID-19 than white people. Therefore the virus is clearly racist.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby jimboston on Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:09 am

mrswdk wrote:My comment is also speculative in part on basic science and how the facts have played out thus far. It has been well-publicized that in the UK ethnic minorities have been affected more severely by COVID-19 than white people. Therefore the virus is clearly racist.

In US some minority groups are more heavily affected as well.
That almost certainly has more to do with lack of social distancing; both in part due to ignoring guidelines and also in part due to tighter living conditions in cities with smaller apartments and shared areas like staircases, hallways, lobbies, etc.

Your two bad (and jokey?) Conspiracy Theories are somewhat contradictory.

My educated speculations are not.

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:31 am

jimboston wrote:
mrswdk wrote:My comment is also speculative in part on basic science and how the facts have played out thus far. It has been well-publicized that in the UK ethnic minorities have been affected more severely by COVID-19 than white people. Therefore the virus is clearly racist.

That almost certainly has more to do with lack of social distancing; both in part due to ignoring guidelines and also in part due to tighter living conditions in cities with smaller apartments and shared areas like staircases, hallways, lobbies, etc.

LOL

Tell me more about these 'educated speculations'. Start with the one in bold plz.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby jimboston on Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:05 pm

mrswdk wrote:
jimboston wrote:

LOL

Tell me more about these 'educated speculations'. Start with the one in bold plz.

You’re not gonna suck me into your trap you feisty little bitch.

Now keep throwing out dumb conspiracy theories you don’t believe... they make you seem so smart.

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:47 pm

The trap of asking you to explain your positions? :lol:

jim: ethnic minorities are ignoring COVID-19 guidelines
mrs: care to explain that?
jim: if I answer that I'll make myself look silly, but only because you're trapping me!
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:12 am

This is typical of mrswdk; no real response. It is JUS an attempt to upset people and get them to react. Are you surprised?

Hey, ain't that the definition of a TROLL..? JUS saying...

jimboston wrote:
mrswdk wrote:
jimboston wrote:

LOL

You’re not gonna suck me into your trap you feisty little bitch.

Now keep throwing out dumb conspiracy theories you don’t believe... they make you seem so smart.
Major jusplay4fun

Postby jimboston on Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:55 am

JP - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON’T COME TO MY DEFENSE!

mrswdk - The ‘trap’ is you take 5 words out of my comment without the qualifiers and ignore the rest of the point.
That rewording changes the emphasis maiming in a way that sets me up for failure... I’ll ‘fall’ for it.

The fact is that there are social groups in the US that are ignoring social distancing guidelines. These social groups include (to name a few)... many (not all) Trump Supporters, many (not all) younger people teens/college age kids, and in, Southeastern Massachusetts, many (not all) latino people in the cities here (Fall River, New Bedford, Brockton). Now you can try to paint this comment as racist or generalizing... but I make it with confidence because;

1) I’ve seen it first hand. (I’ve seen it from all three social groups mentioned first hand.
You can talk and talk all you want, but you can’t deny what I’ve seen first hand.

2) Second hand discussions with a few nurse friends in the area who have confirmed what I have seen and also report higher case counts in that group in this part of the State. That said, higher case counts can (as I stated in my original post) also be attributed to tighter living conditions in the cities.

Any other questions?

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:29 pm

I posted NOT to come to your defense. I think you adequately do that yourself.

I jus wanted to point to a trend that I have noticed about this person, this TROLL. Other interpretations are not excluded.
Major jusplay4fun

Postby mrswdk on Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:40 pm

jimboston wrote:The fact is that there are social groups in the US that are ignoring social distancing guidelines... I make [this comment] with confidence because I’ve seen it first hand [and I've had] second hand discussions with a few nurse friends

Well there you go, folks. Comprehensive proof that 'the Latinos' aren't social distancing!
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby jimboston on Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:34 am

mrswdk wrote:
jimboston wrote:The fact is that there are social groups in the US that are ignoring social distancing guidelines... I make [this comment] with confidence because I’ve seen it first hand [and I've had] second hand discussions with a few nurse friends

Well there you go, folks. Comprehensive proof that 'the Latinos' aren't social distancing!

There you go folks.

I fell into mrswdk‘s trap.

Yes it’s a trap, because you and I both knew I couldn’t resist replying....
... then I replied with all my details and qualifiers...
... and then you take away 80% of what I said and say “Gotcha”.

GFY mrswdk

I’m gonna hand you over to the ram and let his Nazi ass take you out.

Postby jimboston on Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:35 am

mrswdk wrote:My comment is also speculative

This is essentially the sum over everything mrswdk types.

There you go folks!

Postby mrswdk on Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:45 pm

jimboston wrote:... and then you take away 80% of what I said red herrings and tangents

FTFY
Lieutenant mrswdk

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,