Conquer Club

Favourite cheese

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What are your favourite cheeses?

Asiago
5%
Gorgonzola
8%
Parmesan
10%
Jarlsberg
18%
Gouda
3%
Cheddar
10%
Camembert
5%
Leicester
3%
Saint Albrey
3%
Roquefort
3%
Munster
3%
Taleggio
3%
Pecorino
3%
Etorki
No votes
Kefalotiri
3%
Stilton
3%
Caerphilly
3%
Brie
8%
Mozzarella
5%
American
5%

Total votes : 39

Favourite cheese

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:00 pm

For years and years my favourite cheese was Jarlsberg, but I realized today that I'm bored with Jarlsberg. My new favourite is Asiago. Love Asiago!

What about you?
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Re: Favourite cheese

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:26 pm

Blue:Stilton
Not Blue: Caerphilly
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby 2dimes on Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:17 pm

Am I the only one voting because everyone else is too angry at Brie, mozzarella and American being omitted?
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:28 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:Blue:Stilton
Not Blue: Caerphilly

2dimes wrote:Am I the only one voting because everyone else is too angry at Brie, mozzarella and American being omitted?

You two just had to be different, eh?

OKay, added your five options, so we're up to 20, which is the maximum. No more can be added.

Brie is just discount St. Albray, so I shouldn't have allowed it, but I'm generous to a fault.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby 2dimes on Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:36 pm

There are an awful lot of Brie choices. I'll take your word for it being whatever you wrote there.

I think American is nasty but should be on the poll.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby mrswdk on Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:39 pm

lol @ Gouda and American.

Red Leicester, Cheddar, Manchego, Brie and sometimes Camembert. Red Leicester I'd eat in a sandwich though, not by itself.

Parmesan and Mozerella are just ingredients, not cheese you'd eat in their own right.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby HitRed on Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:18 pm

Pepper Jack Cheese. Show some Mexican love.

the original ā€œAmericanā€ cheese invented by Mexican Franciscan friars of Monterey, California. As the name suggests, the cheese is flavoured with sweet peppers, rosemary, habaƱero chilies and garlic and spicy jalapeƱos for an extra kick.
Major HitRed

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:21 pm

Might be better to sort them by style. I prefer Swiss cheeses, preferably Emmental.

Glad to see Pecorino is up there, but it really just means "sheep" cheese, so they come both dry (usually what is meant by the term) or you can get wet pecorinos (more like a ricotta). Unfortunately in the US and Canada pecorino is made from cow milk. Also, Mozzarella should be disqualified since it is both the most popular cheese in America but also 100% illegal in America (since the process that makes Mozzarella is not allowed).
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby KoolBak on Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:31 am

Man, depends on what it's for....

Asiago for spagetts, Jarlsberg for Raclette, provolone for a turkey sanny, cheddar for a burger....

Had to pick one it'd be pepper jack :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal KoolBak

Postby mookiemcgee on Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:47 am

I don't like cheese, but if i did my answer would be mimolette
saxitoxin wrote:deaths among the unvaccinated are higher.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby BoganGod on Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:39 am

Real buffalo milk mozzarella is amazing, American cheese can be good as well. Here is my thoughts on American's experimenting with cheese. Costco introduced a retrospective abortion of a cheese imitation. An American and Swiss Cheese blend, fucking horrible.

Sergeant 1st Class BoganGod

Postby 2dimes on Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:20 am

I could be wrong but I believe Kraft singles are considered American cheese. As it basically is just a new word for any processed cheese slices. They are most often not even slices. Typically they are poured into individual wrappers to mold themselves into a slice shape.

Yeah they are ok in a lot of sandwich situations. My wife and offspring prefer velveeta singles in a grilled cheese sandwich. I would rather have cheddar or some other actual slice of cheese.

I find it interesting that people from Ontario talk about not being able to get decent cheese in Canada.

Even though I have found vast differences, I have never had anything traveling that was significantly better than what I can get in a few cheese shops here. Maybe I never found the good stuff or just don't have a discerning enough palate. Other wise they are importing things you folks can't get there.

If palate is spelled wrong that is what iPad wants there.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:51 pm

2dimes wrote:
I find it interesting that people from Ontario talk about not being able to get decent cheese in Canada.

There is a 300% tariff on cheese. We can buy decent cheese, but it usually costs 40 dollars for a snack. The Canadian milk mafia is bent on destroying reality. The old NAFTA, the new NAFTA, the EU trade deal, the TPP - they are all wicked abominations that keep the unjust cheese tariff going. Today milk farmers are hooking up the cows to milk and just running the hose into the backyard because there is not enough demand. That's what happens when you get an artificially supported industry - they get paid no matter what happens.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby 2dimes on Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:33 pm

When I had good cheese in France I didn't find it to be particularly cheap.

I know it would cost more to get that cheese here.

My concern with dropping cheese tariffs is Walmart bringing in cheap dairy packed with hormones making decent dairy farmer go broke. You still won't be getting any bargains on great cheese. I suspect anybody wasting milk will continue to be a scumbag.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby mrswdk on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:14 pm

If Canada dropped cheese tariffs and that led to an influx of American cheese instead of proper cheese then Canada would only have itself to blame.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby 2dimes on Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:17 pm

mrswdk wrote:If Canada dropped cheese tariffs and that led to an influx of American cheese instead of proper cheese then Canada would only have itself to blame.

Wal-Marx moved in and look what happened to the corner stores, plus K-mart, Sears, Zellers...
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby mrswdk on Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:33 am

Those stores wouldn't be in Canada if Canadians didn't shop at them.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby KoolBak on Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:58 am

Love these generalizations. The Walmart neighborhood market by my house has the exact same cheese selection as the other six grocery stores in our town, EXCEPT, they also offer more LOCAL cheese options from local Oregon dairies, like Tillamook and Alpenrose.

So....your point is....??

2dimes wrote:When I had good cheese in France I didn't find it to be particularly cheap.

I know it would cost more to get that cheese here.

My concern with dropping cheese tariffs is Walmart bringing in cheap dairy packed with hormones making decent dairy farmer go broke. You still won't be getting any bargains on great cheese. I suspect anybody wasting milk will continue to be a scumbag.

AND:
Corporal KoolBak

Postby BoganGod on Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:43 am

2dimes wrote:I could be wrong but I believe Kraft singles are considered American cheese. As it basically is just a new word for any processed cheese slices. They are most often not even slices. Typically they are poured into individual wrappers to mold themselves into a slice shape.

Yeah they are ok in a lot of sandwich situations. My wife and offspring prefer velveeta singles in a grilled cheese sandwich. I would rather have cheddar or some other actual slice of cheese.

Even though I have found vast differences, I have never had anything traveling that was significantly better than what I can get in a few cheese shops here. Maybe I never found the good stuff or just don't have a discerning enough palate. Other wise they are importing things you folks can't get there.

If palate is spelled wrong that is what iPad wants there.

Kraft singles in OZ/NZ are not considered American Cheese, plastic cheese yes, so similar to American cheese, but not American Cheese.
Sergeant 1st Class BoganGod

Postby 2dimes on Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:50 am

You want to know what my point is about K-mart?

McDonald's calls the piece of ham in the Egg Mcmuffin back bacon. It's not.

Explain the difference between a Kraft single and American cheese.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby KoolBak on Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:44 am

Hmmmm....eggamuffin advertised as "Canadian Bacon" here, which is prevalent everywhere. Canadian bacon and tomato pizza, canadian bacon in the stores, etc. Only way to get back bacon is a butcher. I always have canadian bacon in the fridge for homemade pizza, hot "ham" and cheese sannies, etc.

Canadian bacon description here: Called back bacon in Canada, this lean smoked meat is a closer kin to ham than it is to regular bacon. It's taken from the lean, tender eye of the loin, which is located in the middle of the back. Canadian bacon comes in cylindrical chunks that can be sliced or cut in any manner desired. It costs more than regular bacon, but it's leaner and precooked (meaning less shrinkage) and therefore provides more servings per pound. It can be fried, baked, barbecued or used cold as it comes from the package in sandwiches and salads.

American cheese (gross plastic wrapped singles) barely qualifies as cheese, IMHO. For something to be called cheese, it has to be over 50% cheese. What are singles....51%? :lol:

I like it for a very few things in cooking due to its consistency / melt point / salt level. But cheese? No.....

AND:
Corporal KoolBak

Postby 2dimes on Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:14 pm

Ok so you fully understand that part.

I'm surprised that you agree with the "Back, leg? Same same." guy passing himself off as DoomYoshi about, "If a small store can't compete with Wal-Mart in Canada, tough titty. Maybe the owner can get a job at the place that ran him out of business if he wants to eat."

I know I shouldn't continue but...

I used to go to a store here and buy Jeans. They were made in Montreal.
( I suppose we could discuss weather or not that counts as Canada. )
I would pay more unless they had a sale but they would fit the same every time. My brother figured Wal-mart was selling factory seconds since his Levi's from there were noticeably different from the ones he bought elsewhere. Then eventually the store I shopped at started sourcing jeans from other countries. The price did not change but you had to try on three or more pairs marked the same to find the pair that might fit. I eventually just gave up going there.

I'm wearing a pair from Cabellas right now. You need to break them in because the denim is so thick it is stiff when you buy them. They are not cheap, yet I would still pay $10-20 more if they were made here.

Canadians don't want to actually work and make pants anyway so it's better I guess. They want to be management at an office and buy cheese at Walmart.

My point.
I don't shop at Walmart.
My wife is six feet tall. She used to enjoy going to K-mart to buy pants because they would almost always have some on the shelf that fit her...
Eventually we will have to buy from the only store left.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby KoolBak on Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:35 pm

Completely agree on clothing thing. Never bought a pair at Wally. But it's not them....it's the corporate pigs that farm out manufacturing to the cheapest foreign country....Levi's, dokkers, whatever.

Go to 4 different stores, buy the same Levi's, and every one is different. I've got probly 4 pair of Levi's that are the same size / style and the actual waist ranges FOUR inches. Fucking stupid. I guess taiwans inches are different than China's.

And you're preaching to the choir about sourcing manufacture out if country brother....that's the entire stance behind my product I hand make from USA materials. If I made pants, I couldn't possibly compete with the foreign shit. Really frustrating.

But my customers love that about my shit AND it's BETTER shit than any other asshole can make :twisted:

Anyway.

I also am a cheapskate so I usually but my pants used :lol:

AND:
Corporal KoolBak

Postby 2dimes on Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:46 pm

I have bought used jeans in the past. One was my favorite pair ever.

Wanna hang out in the original favorite cheese thread?
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,