Conquer Club

Good box sets

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Good box sets

Postby The ram on Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:58 am

Seeing as most of us have a bit of extra time on our hands due to covid 1984 I was wondering if anyone has any good advice on series to watch. I haven't watched a series since walking dead got woke in about series 7 but I came across get shorty. It's got everything, humour, action, crime and stays realistic. Finished it now, and we got another 5 to possibly 16 weeks of lockdown left here, so any ideas?
General The ram

Re: Good box sets

Postby HitRed on Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:07 pm

The Dig on netflix

Narcos Drama on the history of the drug cartels.
Major HitRed

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:10 pm

TV Series

Okkupert--> You have to deal with a subtle subtext of "immigrants are Norwegians, too" but overall I liked it ... extremely Russophobic, though

Bodyguard--> You have to deal with a subtle subtext of "MILFs need fucking, too" but overall I liked it

The Leftovers --> Would have been better if Justin Theroux weren't the star but I thought it was mostly solid

Podcasts

Steve Bannon's War Room

Timcast IRL

Web Series

Paolo from Tokyo -- This guy goes around Japan showing you mundane things in a non-travelogue way. I like the narrator's very child-like tone which strangely avoids being too off-putting for grown-ups like me. My favorites are Day in the Life of an Average Japanese Salaryman in Tokyo, Day in the Life of a Japanese Game Programmer, and Day in the Life of a Japanese Firefighter.

MilkiBokiTan-- This is a Korean guy who posts videos of his two cats and dog with an interesting music track and subtitles.
Preferred Pronouns: We / Everyone
My Body, My Choice
Sergeant saxitoxin

Postby Maxleod on Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:15 pm

The Flight Attendant.

Comedy/Crime, really fun, I enjoyed watching it.
Lieutenant Maxleod

Location: DARDIS (Drunkness And Relative Dimensions In Sleep)

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:20 pm

Old but excellent CGI - Roughnecks
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:43 pm

Have you watched all of my recommendations yet?
Preferred Pronouns: We / Everyone
My Body, My Choice
Sergeant saxitoxin

Postby KoolBak on Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:57 am

Ok Get Shorty was one of my fave films and the sequel Be Cool was ok...what series is there and is it related?

Don't watch much as I read in my free time....BUT....the series Yellowstone was fucking incredible. Sucked in and binged all three seasons...awesome. Last time I did that was the Sopranos over 20 years ago...lol
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal KoolBak

Postby The ram on Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:43 pm

saxitoxin wrote:Have you watched all of my recommendations yet?

Haha not yet. After living the life of a monk and adhering to the lockdown regulations for the last 3 months, I've got some company this evening. I will check them out though and let you know.

KoolBak wrote:Ok Get Shorty was one of my fave films and the sequel Be Cool was ok...what series is there and is it related?

Don't watch much as I read in my free time....BUT....the series Yellowstone was fucking incredible. Sucked in and binged all three seasons...awesome. Last time I did that was the Sopranos over 20 years ago...lol

I never watch box sets but got hooked on get shorty. Once you get past the first 2 episodes you won't be disappointed, I guarantee.
General The ram

Postby Doc_Brown on Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:22 pm

Babylon 5. I rank it as one of the best television series of all time. It is Science Fiction, and Star Trek: DS9 ripped off some of the better elements of B5. But B5 has far better character arcs (comedic character progresses to epic villain to tragic hero, minor villain progresses to tragic anti-hero to comedic character to prophetic/moral voice, etc...) a more realistic view of politics, religion, philosophy, and personal motivations, and a more cohesive and complete storyline. Though it does suffer from a lower budget, and some of the special effects are a bit dated. The story easily makes up for it though.
Major Doc_Brown

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:11 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:Babylon 5. I rank it as one of the best television series of all time. It is Science Fiction, and Star Trek: DS9 ripped off some of the better elements of B5. But B5 has far better character arcs (comedic character progresses to epic villain to tragic hero, minor villain progresses to tragic anti-hero to comedic character to prophetic/moral voice, etc...) a more realistic view of politics, religion, philosophy, and personal motivations, and a more cohesive and complete storyline. Though it does suffer from a lower budget, and some of the special effects are a bit dated. The story easily makes up for it though.

+1
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby armati on Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:39 am

bbc

first world war

u tube

The Great War (Enhanced 1964 BBC Documentary)

https://youtu.be/TWJlv8hy0jQ?list=PLucs ... NUKUVClo6C

https://irvingbooks.com/xcart/home.php

If you feel like reading,
Hitlers War by David Irving
David Irving's standard work on Adolf Hitler based on diaries and documents exclusively available to him and thirty years of research and interviews with Hitler's generals and private staff
Sergeant armati

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,