Conquer Club

Eggs

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

How do you like your eggs?

Sunny side up
5%
Runny sunny side up
4%
Scrambled
6%
Over easy
5%
Over medium
4%
Over hard
4%
Poached soft
5%
Poached medium
4%
Poached hard
1%
Omelet
10%
Benedict
6%
Omelet whites only
1%
Soft boiled
8%
Hard boiled
6%
Frittata
5%
Quiche
6%
Raw
1%
In a sliced bread sandwich
5%
In a bun sandwich
4%
In an English muffin sandwich
8%

Total votes : 78

Re: Eggs

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:26 pm

Hey, speaking of Corned Beef, it really started as a Jewish meat and the Irish that immigrated to the USA started to use it (as a substitute for the more expensive bacon in their cooking). Corned beef, as it is served in the USA, in not used that way in Ireland, I have read.

I love it, despite too much fat and too much salt.

JP
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby riskllama on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:07 pm

i had corned beef & cabbage for supper last night... :)
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:16 pm

Llama,

How was it? I assume that you enjoyed it...? right?

We had grilled hot dogs 2nite; I got my gas grill out as we got above 70 F today.

I am planning to grill beef burgers tomorrow, as we will be a bit warmer. Charcoal, with hickory wood chips, too.

riskllama wrote:i had corned beef & cabbage for supper last night... :)
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby riskllama on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:05 pm

yeah, was...fine. i mean, it's corned beef & cabbage - pretty hard to f*ck up something you just chuck in a pot & boil, right? gotta love those one pot meals... ;) .
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby 2dimes on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:10 pm

You could make Montreal Smoked.

I bet it would be good with hash browns and an egg on the side.

Edit : serves me right for not previewing it. I guess
Last edited by 2dimes on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby riskllama on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:15 pm

lol, i've actually been consuming a fair bit of mtl. smoked meat of late as well, but i just go to the deli & buy the meat that's ready to go. some of that w/some swiss & sauerkraut between some grilled rye bread makes for an amazing sandwich. nice youtube link, btw... ;)
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby 2dimes on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:29 pm

Yeah, never had a single lesson either...
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby Hooch on Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:24 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:Hey, speaking of Corned Beef, it really started as a Jewish meat and the Irish that immigrated to the USA started to use it (as a substitute for the more expensive bacon in their cooking). Corned beef, as it is served in the USA, in not used that way in Ireland, I have read.

JP

Corned Beef has been in the British Isles for well over 400 years.
I haven't had it for about 18 months.
Private 1st Class Hooch

Postby jusplay4fun on Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:57 pm

Again, based on what I have read, that the corned beef in the British Isles (and I presume in Ireland, too) is different from the corned beef served in the USA. I like corned beef (but am not a fan of the Reuben sandwich) and I also like corned beef hash (with diced potatoes).

Hooch wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:Hey, speaking of Corned Beef, it really started as a Jewish meat and the Irish that immigrated to the USA started to use it (as a substitute for the more expensive bacon in their cooking). Corned beef, as it is served in the USA, in not used that way in Ireland, I have read.

JP

Corned Beef has been in the British Isles for well over 400 years.
I haven't had it for about 18 months.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby KoolBak on Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:53 am

Here (usa) it is a brisket cut of beef brined with pickling seasonings. We then cook the brisket as we see fit. In UK I think it's just salt beef that is minced, mixed with gelatin and canned...like a beef SPAM...?

Then, here, if you smoke a corned beef brisket you get pastrami....my FAVE...

I LOVE corned beef...cook it in water in a crockpot or bake it...love em both.
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal KoolBak

Postby riskllama on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:39 pm

made a quiche for supper - was pretty good.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:19 am

Real men don't eat quiche.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:50 am

Koolbak is correct about the US version of corned beef. I do not know about the UK version.

This succinct and insightful article below answers most of the question on the topic of corned beef and confirms most of what I have read on this topic going back a few years. AND yes, corned beef is great with eggs and not JUS with cabbage.

https://www.thekitchn.com/heres-why-we-eat-corned-beef-on-saint-patricks-day-st-patricks-day-2015-216824

Sure, the Irish might eat corned beef sometimes, but it’s hardly the national dish of Ireland. And the masses of Dublin surely aren’t sitting down to a supper of corned beef and cabbage tonight. So, how did we come to associate this meat as a go-to meal on St. Patrick’s Day?

What Exactly Is Corned Beef?
Corned beef is made from brisket, a relatively inexpensive cut of beef. The meat goes through a long curing process using large grains of rock salt, or “corns” of salt, and a brine. It’s then slowly cooked, turning a tough cut of beef into one that’s super tender and flavorful.

How Corned Beef Became Synonymous with St. Patrick’s Day
Ireland was a major producer of salted meat, going back all the way to the Middle Ages and lasting through the 19th century. It wasn’t always called corned beef, though. That didn’t come until the 17th century when the English coined the term.

While Ireland produced large amounts of corned beef, it was nearly all for trade. Corned beef was considered a luxury, and largely much too expensive for the Irish to consume. Instead, they relied on dairy and pork, especially salt pork, a relative to bacon.

Our association with corned beef as traditional Irish fare can be traced back to the 19th century and the Irish immigration to the U.S. While the newly immigrated Irish were used to eating salt pork back at home, its nearest counterpart, bacon, was prohibitively expensive in the U.S.

Their best option for a lower-cost meat was, you guessed it: corned beef. What was once a luxury item became a food that was now inexpensive and readily available. So it was the Irish-American consumption of corned beef that initiated its association with Ireland and the holiday of St. Patrick’s Day.

And as for pairing cabbage with corned beef, it was simply one of the cheapest vegetables available to Irish immigrants, so it was a side dish that stuck.

Do you eat anything special to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?

KoolBak wrote:Here (usa) it is a brisket cut of beef brined with pickling seasonings. We then cook the brisket as we see fit. In UK I think it's just salt beef that is minced, mixed with gelatin and canned...like a beef SPAM...?

JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:54 am

I also like eggs in various breakfast sandwiches; one of my favorite is the Egg McMuffin served at McDonalds, using Canadian bacon.

It tastes great and is not too high in calories or fat. It is high in sodium, however.

Egg McMuffin®

310 Cal.310 Cal.

Our Egg McMuffin® breakfast sandwich is an excellent source of protein and oh so delicious. We place a freshly cracked Grade A egg on a toasted English Muffin topped with real butter and add lean Canadian bacon and melty American cheese. There are 300 calories in an Egg McMuffin®.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/product/egg-mcmuffin.html

While some may argue that you'd actually be a much healthier person if you skipped breakfast entirely, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. And for those who understand this, but don't have time to make a healthy breakfast at home, fattening fast food is often the only option.

But as the The Kitchn wisely points out, the Egg McMuffin is surprisingly not that horrible for you! The classic breakfast sandwich (which is now available all-day long) consists of an English muffin, one egg, one small circle of Canadian bacon, American cheese, and butter. It comes in at a meager 290 calories. Pretty benign stuff.

Considering consuming 350 to 500 calories at breakfast is a standard recommendation, this all sounds great! But where those calories come from is of equal importance, so they also asked registered dietitian Lisa D. Harkins what she thinks. "An Egg McMuffin is not the worst thing you can have," she explains. "It's much better than no breakfast, a doughnut, or a fatty, empty-calorie Dunkin' Donuts coffee drink." But she also goes on to note that at "750 milligrams per pop, you're getting somewhere between half and a third of your sodium content for the day, based on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's recommendation of 1,500 to 2,300 milligrams." Which means the Egg McMuffin is a perfectly reasonable breakfast... so long as you don't have high blood pressure.

Of course, none of this applies to the 470-calorie sausage McMuffin with egg. Proceed there with caution. And maybe skip the hash brown.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/egg-mcmuffin-is-healthier-than-you-think
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby Hooch on Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:33 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:Koolbak is ...~snip~
KoolBak wrote:Here (usa) it is a brisket cut of beef brined with pickling seasonings. We then cook the brisket as we see fit. In UK I think it's just salt beef that is minced, mixed with gelatin and canned...like a beef SPAM...?

We talking about Corned Beef or Corned Beef or Corned Beef?
It isn't the national dish of America either

It doesn't matter if they ate it or not in Ireland.
"While Ireland produced large amounts of corned beef, it was nearly all for trade..."
Corned Beef.
Private 1st Class Hooch

Postby Hooch on Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:39 pm

2dimes, you forgot Fertilised...

Weekends start off with either an omelette with tomato, Bacon, cheese,mushrooms, maybe some capsicum, or Bacon and Eggs, then the following day is the other.
Private 1st Class Hooch

Postby KoolBak on Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:12 pm

I gots my 4 lb (think that's like 587 kilos) 'murikan corned beef in the ole crocker!!

AND:
Corporal KoolBak

Postby 2dimes on Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:50 pm

Similar adventure here.

Got home after going for a pint of disappointing not-green Coors light and wife had started making the house smell delicious by putting a corned beef roast in the slow cooker.
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:19 pm

NO one here said anything about "the national dish of America" but some here where I live in VA (USA) will enjoy corned beef or corned beef with cabbage (and I assume potatoes, too) for dinner on this day.

Growing up, we never did, even though my Dad is 100% Irish. I never asked him if his family in Massachusetts did that dish or not; I never thought to ask.

I think pastrami is beef brisket, too, with lots of black pepper. It is not as salty as corned beef, at least not for me.

JP

Hooch wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:Koolbak is ...~snip~

We talking about Corned Beef or Corned Beef or Corned Beef?
It isn't the national dish of America either

It doesn't matter if they ate it or not in Ireland.
"While Ireland produced large amounts of corned beef, it was nearly all for trade..."
Corned Beef.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:25 pm

This may answer that question:

JP

What’s the difference between...

Pastrami vs. corned beef

https://www.eater.com/2019/9/13/20863770/whats-the-difference-corned-beef-pastrami

The deli counter is full of pressing questions — because while you may have some vague understanding that pastrami and corned beef are two different things, and that one might be better than the other, you may be stuck on the how or why. Here are the major points of differentiation between the two, because no meat should ever be a mystery.

Pastrami and corned beef have different countries of origin: Pastrami has two possible ancestries: It’s either Romanian (where its predecessor, pastrama, was made with pork or mutton) or Turkish (where it’d be a descendent of pastirma, made with beef). Corned beef hails from Ireland, which is why it’s eaten on St. Patrick’s Day.

Pastrami and corned beef are different cuts of meat: Today’s corned beef and pastrami are both made from beef, albeit different parts of the animal. Corned beef is made from brisket, which comes from the lower chest of the cow; pastrami is either made from a cut called the deckle, a lean, wide, firm shoulder cut, or the navel, a smaller and juicier section right below the ribs. These days, you may also see pastrami made from brisket.

Pastrami and corned beef have different cooking methods: Pastrami is smoked over hardwood, oftentimes with a pan of water nearby, which helps create steam and keep the meat moist. It’s then cooled and then steamed before serving. Corned beef is… boiled. Sometimes with cabbage and other accoutrements in the mix, too.

Bonus round: If you’ve ever been to Montreal, you may be wondering: What does “smoked meat” have to do with all this? Smoked meat is a Canadian specialty that pulls from the same themes as corned beef and pastrami, but has a story arc of its own. It’s made with brisket and is brined in a mixture of black pepper, coriander, garlic, and mustard seeds — but with much less sugar than its pastrami and corned-beef cousins. It’s then smoked, like pastrami, and is best layered onto rye bread with mustard for serving — just like the rest of family.

Pastrami and corned beef do have the same brine: Pastrami and corned beef are brined before they’re cooked; they’re either rubbed with or submerged in a solution of salt and spices to infuse the meat with more moisture and flavor. Both are brined in a mixture of salt, sugar, black pepper, cloves, coriander, bay leaves, juniper berries, and dill, as well as the preservatives sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite.

Pastrami and corned beef have different spice mixes: Here’s when things really start to differ. After brining, pastrami gets coated in a mixture of black pepper, coriander, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, and sometimes fresh garlic; that spice coating is what gives it its blackened appearance. Corned beef is… naked. No spice mix to speak of.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:05 pm

So I mentioned proper Brit corned beef last year. I omitted to mention that the brisket and the flank are different cuts.
This takes a huge amount of effort and time, I did it in preparation for a big group holiday a couple of times, but many years ago. It is extremely tasty and vastly different to what is served up as 'corned beef' in the U.S.
Having said that, I've never seen this served in restaurants, or indeed prepared by anyone else but me. I got the recipe from the late great Nigel Rhodes, one of my favourite chefs.
It tastes slightly gamey, having been left to soak for several days.

What the US calls corned beef is a pale imitation. A real corned beef is more like the stuff that comes in a can from Argentina or Brazil. It takes days to make.

Using a whole beef flank,
Trim the beef flank of all visible sinews but leave it as a whole piece. Mix the water and 75 g (3 oz) of salt to create brine. To test the strength of the brine, sit a raw new potato in the water; the potato should float. If it won’t float, simply add the remaining salt, or more if needed. Sit the beef in the brine and chill for 3 days.

Remove the meat from the brine and wash it, discarding the salt water. Sit the meat in a clean pan with the pig’s trotters, if using. Top up with fresh water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 2½–3 hours, skimming any impurities from the liquor.

Once cooked, remove the meat from the liquor. Drain the cooking liquor through a fine sieve and taste; it should have a good beef flavour. Discard the trotters. Bring the stock to the boil and boil to reduce in volume, and increase its flavour and jelly content. Test the stock/jelly by spooning on to a small plate and placing in the fridge. The jelly must set very firm to enable it to hold the beef together. If it doesn’t set firm enough, then add some or all of the gelatine to the mix. Only about 600–900 ml (1–1½ pints) of finished jelly stock will be needed. Make sure you do test the stock/jelly first as the dish is better if only set using natural jellies.

While the beef is still warm, break it down into pieces. The meat will almost separate itself between sinew strips. Any excess sinew can be removed, but make sure that all fat content is kept. The meat can now be pushed through a large mincer plate (5–10 mm/¼–½ in) or chopped by hand with the fat. Mix the meat with 600 ml (1 pint) of reduced liquor and check the consistency. The meat should absorb the liquor and be left reasonably loose. If the mix is too firm, add another 300 ml (10 fl oz) of stock. Taste the corned beef before setting in a mould and correct the seasoning with salt and pepper. The mix can now be pressed firmly into a terrine mould or bowl and set in the fridge overnight.

Once set, turn out the corned beef and serve with a salad and pickle, fried for breakfast or turn it into a corned beef hash.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:21 pm

While you're thinking about your eggs, don't forget The Greatest Egg!
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:44 pm

Fried eggs (in butter) over easy, and link pork sausages the other night was served AND ENJOYED by me...!

This morning, scrambled eggs on a biscuit with breakfast meats. I enjoyed them ALL.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:46 pm

Fried eggs (in butter) over easy, and link pork sausages the other night was served AND ENJOYED by me...!

This morning, scrambled eggs on a biscuit with breakfast meats. I enjoyed them ALL.

for a change of pace, I grilled hamburger (ground beef) cooked for charcoal with mesquite and apple wood chips for a bit of EXTRA smoky Flavor. I am proud of those burgers. We enjoyed them with my Granddaughter and her Mom and Dad, too.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby KoolBak on Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:19 pm

Who enjoys a Scotch egg? I do...few places offer them here and they're a PITA to make :lol:

AND:
Corporal KoolBak

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,