Conquer Club

Let's colonize Titan

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Let's colonize Titan

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:31 pm

The best sales pitch for the Titan colony that I've seen in decades.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/lets-colonize-titan/
Up to now, most researchers have looked at the Moon or Mars as the next step for human habitation. These destinations have the dual advantages of proximity and of not being clearly unrealistic as choices for where we should go. That second characteristic is lacking at the other bodies near us in the inner solar system, Mercury and Venus.

Mercury is too close to the sun, with temperature extremes and other physical conditions that seem hardly survivable. Venus’s atmosphere is poisonous, crushingly heavy and furnace-hot, due to a run-away greenhouse effect. It might be possible to live suspended by balloons high in Venus’s atmosphere, but we can’t see how such a habitation would ever be self-sustaining.

But although the Moon and Mars look like comparatively reasonable destinations, they also have a deal-breaking problem. Neither is protected by a magnetosphere or atmosphere. Galactic Cosmic Rays, the energetic particles from distant supernovae, bombard the surfaces of the Moon and Mars, and people can’t live long-term under the assault of GCRs.

The cancer-causing potential of this powerful radiation has long been known, although it remains poorly quantified. But research in the last two years has added a potentially more serious hazard: brain damage. GCRs include particles such as iron nuclei traveling at close to the speed of light that destroy brain tissue.

Exposing mice to this radiation at levels similar to those found in space caused brain damage and loss of cognitive abilities, according to a study published last year by Vipan K. Parihar and colleagues in Science Advances. That research suggests we aren’t ready to send astronauts to Mars for a visit, much less to live there.

On Earth, we are shielded from GCRs by water in the atmosphere. But it takes two meters of water to block half of the GCRs present in unprotected space. Practically, a Moon or Mars settlement would have to be built underground to be safe from this radiation.

Titan is the only other body in the solar system with liquid on the surface, with its lakes of methane and ethane that look startlingly like water bodies on Earth. It rains methane on Titan, occasionally filling swamps. Dunes of solid hydrocarbons look remarkably like Earth’s sand dunes.

For protection from radiation, Titan has a nitrogen atmosphere 50 percent thicker than Earth’s. Saturn’s magnetosphere also provides shelter. On the surface, vast quantities of hydrocarbons in solid and liquid form lie ready to be used for energy. Although the atmosphere lacks oxygen, water ice just below the surface could be used to provide oxygen for breathing and to combust hydrocarbons as fuel.

It’s cold on Titan, at -180°C (-291°F), but thanks to its thick atmosphere, residents wouldn’t need pressure suits—just warm clothing and respirators. Housing could be made of plastic produced from the unlimited resources harvested on the surface, and could consist of domes inflated by warm oxygen and nitrogen. The ease of construction would allow huge indoor spaces.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Re: Let's colonize Titan

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:11 am

Credits needs to be given to George Lucas for imagining a habitable world on a moon and not (apparently) on the planet it orbits.

I am sure that sci-fi writers imagined habitable moons in their stories, but none come to my mind at this time.

Endor, designated IX3244-A, also known as the Forest Moon of Endor or the Sanctuary Moon, was a small forested moon that was the ninth moon that orbited the Outer Rim planet of the same name. It was the homeworld of the sentient Dulok, Ewok, and Yuzzum species, as well as the Wistie and semi-sentient Gorax races.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Endor

......so, I did do a bit of looking:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter%27s_moons_in_fiction

Jupiter's extensive system of natural satellites – in particular the four large Galilean moons (Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto) – has been a common science fiction setting.

Literature
In Seetee Ship (1949) and Seetee Shock (1950) by Jack Williamson, the Jovian moons are colonised by the Soviet Union, which transfers its government there after the United States builds a nuclear base on the Moon, which enables the Americans to dominate the whole of Earth. The Jovian Soviet is one of the main powers contending for control of the mineral wealth of the Asteroid Belt.
Robert A. Heinlein's young adult novel Farmer in the Sky (1950) is set on Ganymede.
Arthur C. Clarke's short story, Jupiter Five (1953), has most of the action in the Jupiter system. Clarke also concentrates heavily on the system in his Space Odyssey series.
The novel The Runaway Robot (1965) by Lester Del Rey is set primarily on Ganymede.
"The Moons of Jupiter" (1978) by Alice Munro, though not a science fiction story, is named in reference to the protagonist's discussion of the moons with her dying father, as part of a meditation on the nature of facts and memory. Munro named her short story collection The Moons of Jupiter (1982) for this story.

Film and television
A fictional thirteenth moon (Leda) is visited in the 1956 film Fire Maidens of Outer Space.
Operation Ganymed (1977) is the story of the exploration of Jupiter's moons and trouble on the journey home.

and two more, JUS 4 the FUN of it:

Julius Caesar (1599), a play written by William Shakespeare. In Act III, Scene I, Cassius petitions Caesar to reverse a banishment, but Caesar proclaims his steadfastness, comparing himself to the star Polaris: "But I am constant as the northern star, / Of whose true-fix'd and resting quality / There is no fellow in the firmament."[10][note 1]

"Polaris" (1920), short story by H. P. Lovecraft. The narrator experiences a series of increasingly substantial dreams about Olathoë, a city of marble lying on a plateau between two peaks, with the "malign presence" of Polaris ever watching in the night sky. At the end of the story, he is convinced that his waking life is not real but a dream from which he cannot awaken.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_and_planetary_systems_in_fiction
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:21 am

You already answered your own question, but yeah, there have been tons of books written about life on various habitable moons.

Code of the Lifemaker by James P. Hogan should have been on your list. It was probably one of the most influential books in my life.

Farmer in the Sky, by Heinlein, is the book that I'm currently re-reading.

Besides novels that use habitable moons as the actual place for life to exist, there is another big category of novels that use moons as space stations or actual vehicles. In this category, I'd recommend Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:14 pm

The name Larry Niven intrigued me; I thought I may have read something by him, a short story or novel or some such. So I read about him, but none of the cited stories sounded that FAMILIAR to me. Honestly, I have read LOTS of short stories and anthologies and I am not sure of all that I have read, especially those many years ago.

Anyway, interesting stuff, Duk.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:20 pm

OK, this interested me, and NO, I have not read it.

I did not include the plot summary, so no spoiler alert needed.

Reception
Groff Conklin wrote that although Farmer in the Sky was "conceived as a novel for 'adolescents' ... this book is also one of the best of the month's output in science fiction for adults ... an adventure story with an unusual amount of realism in its telling. It is not childish".[2] Boucher and McComas named Farmer "just about the only mature science fiction novel of the year [1950]", describing it as "a magnificently detailed study of the technological and human problems of interplanetary colonization."[3] Damon Knight found the novel "a typical Heinlein story ... typically brilliant, thorough and readable."[4] P. Schuyler Miller recommended the novel unreservedly, saying that Heinlein's "minute attention to detail ... has never been more fascinatingly shown."[5]

Surveying Heinlein's juvenile novels, Jack Williamson noted that Farmer in the Sky "has harsh realism for a juvenile." He described it as "a novel of education" where the protagonist "tell[s] his own story in a relaxed conversational style."[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer_in_the_Sky
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:24 pm

On another note, I did read recently (in the past 5 years or so) the first of the Ender Game novels, saw the movie adaptation, at least part of it, and enjoyed both. I did not read the follow-up sequels.

Ender's Game is a 1985 military science fiction novel by American author Orson Scott Card. Set at an unspecified date in Earth's future, the novel presents an imperiled humankind after two conflicts with the Formics, an insectoid alien species they dub the "buggers". In preparation for an anticipated third invasion, children, including the novel's protagonist, Andrew "Ender" Wiggin, are trained from a very young age by putting them through increasingly difficult games, including some in zero gravity, where Ender's tactical genius is revealed.

The book originated as a short story of the same name, published in the August 1977 issue of Analog Science Fiction and Fact.[1] The novel was published on January 15, 1985. Later, by elaborating on characters and plotlines depicted in the novel, Card was able to write additional books in the Ender's Game series. Card also released an updated version of Ender's Game in 1991, changing some political facts to reflect the times more accurately (e.g., to include the recent collapse of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War). The novel has been translated into 34 languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jonesthecurl on Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:32 pm

Yes, Lucas didn't have an original idea there. Or probably ever.

Post- Endor, but well worth a read, are the Coyote novels by Allen Steele.

And of course there's The Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut, where he introduces us to the Church of God the Utterly Indifferent. That's pre-Star Wars by a couple of decades.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:33 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:Yes, Lucas didn't have an original idea there. Or probably ever.

Post- Endor, but well worth a read, are the Coyote novels by Allen Steele.

And of course there's The Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut, where he introduces us to the Church of God the Utterly Indifferent. That's pre-Star Wars by a couple of decades.

I do not recall Lucas ever making a claim that he had an original IDEA. He admitted to those stories and works that influenced Star Wars.

He wanted to tell a Good Story with action and adventure. It was to be FUN. AND it STILL IS.

The Star Wars films show considerable similarity to Japanese Jidaigeki films, as well as Roman mythology. Lucas has stated that his intention was to create in Star Wars a modern mythology, based on the studies of his friend and mentor Joseph Campbell. He has also called the first movie's similarity to the film The Hidden Fortress (Akira Kurosawa) an "homage".

Lucas had already written two drafts of Star Wars when he rediscovered Joseph Campbell's The Hero With a Thousand Faces in 1975 (having read it years before in college). This blueprint for "The Hero's Journey" gave Lucas the focus he needed to draw his sprawling imaginary universe into a single story. Campbell demonstrates in his book that all stories are expressions of the same story-pattern, which he named the Hero's Journey or the monomyth.

Lucas has often cited The Lord of the Rings series as a major influence on Star Wars. Lucas learned from Tolkien how to handle the delicate stuff of myth. Tolkien wrote that myth and fairytale seem to be the best way to communicate morality - hints for choosing between right and wrong - and in fact that may be their primary purpose. Lucas has also acknowledged in interviews that the Gandalf and the Witch-king characters in the Lord of the Rings influenced the Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader characters respectively.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby bigtoughralf on Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:46 am

I'd rather they just work out a way to upload my mind into a computer so I can live in a Vanilla Sky-esque fantasy world where I spend all my time being a rich playboy and fucking Penelope Cruz. Living in a tent on some moon sounds dead AF.
Corporal 1st Class bigtoughralf

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,