Conquer Club

The Irony of Margaritaville

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

The Irony of Margaritaville

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:14 pm

Came across this article today. I'll include the link, although in all honesty, the bulk of the article is not worth reading. It's a critique of yet another Margaritaville-themed resort hotel, this one in Times Square, which is about as stupid as it sounds.
https://www.eater.com/22644505/margaritaville-times-square-new-york-hotel-restaurants

Around the middle of the article, however, I found this passage, four paragraphs quite a bit better than the rest of it, and very much in line with something that's always seemed painfully ironic to me.

The song “Margaritaville,” which forever solidified Jimmy Buffett’s persona as the king of the beach bums, was off his eighth album, and it only took seven years between the release of “Margaritaville” the song (1977) and the opening of Margaritaville the restaurant (1984). The first location was in Alabama, as Buffett couldn’t get the trademark rights in Florida for the name “Margaritaville” because “there are so many using the name around the country,” he told the press at the time. Eventually, he won.

Margaritaville, the one Buffett sang about, is actually an awful place. He allegedly wrote it after ordering a margarita in Austin, Texas, and was also inspired by an influx of tourists to Key West, Florida, where he was living at the time. It’s about a man “wastin’ away” in a touristy beach town, whose only solace from hinted-about heartbreak and foot injuries is tequila. This is not a song about someone who rejects the pressures of workaday life in order to pursue radical pleasure. This is about a man who is depressed and perhaps on the run from the law, for whom shrimp and sea and tattoos provide no peace, and who needs blended beach drinks to “hang on” to whatever semblance of a life he has left. It is not escaping. It’s fleeing. And it’s sort of pathetic.

But fans have instead turned it into a “national anthem for generations of college kids on spring break, burnt-out stockbrokers, and wishful thinkers who long to leave careers behind and let their biggest worry be which beach to sleep on that night,” wrote Dan Daley for Mix. The song has been completely recontextualized so that not even Jimmy Buffett himself can declare this man’s life an unsalvageable mess. Instead of a song about despair, it’s a song about defiance, insisting despite all evidence to the contrary that you are having a good time.

It’s a specific type of fun, though. Jimmy Buffett made his name with “gulf and western music,” a style that combines American country and rock with instruments and tonalities more commonly found in the Caribbean. But while his songs are full of steel drums, lyrically they are mostly about being a white American man dreaming of a Bahamas without Bahamians. It’s an overworked man in a bar, imagining moving to an island paradise, without all the pesky stuff that’s already on the island. There are now more than 60 Margaritaville bars and restaurants across the U.S., Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean, selling this fantasy of “island” drinks and American foods with coconut or pineapple added to them, sometimes on top of the very places those flavors were taken from. It’s a shame, but not a surprise, how popular a sell that is.

It's always amazed me that this song about a clinically-depressed loser, slowly sliding downhill to alcoholism and probably an alcohol-related death, has become a byword for celebration and good cheer. Do people not know the lyrics? Or do they know them and not care?
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Re: The Irony of Margaritaville

Postby HitRed on Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:58 pm

People internalize music and pull out what they want.
Major HitRed

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:08 pm

HitRed wrote:People internalize music and pull out what they want.

I think you are correct, HR. This human tendency is probably not limited to music.
JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby HitRed on Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:24 pm

Pumped up Kicks

I thought this was a song about neighborhood kids playing cap guns in the yard. Mentions cowboys and six shooters. Light beat and catchy chorus.

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
You better run, better run, outrun my gun
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
You better run, better run, faster than my bullet

After reading the lyrics and the history of the song all that changed. It’s about school violence and a kid killing his dad.

Major HitRed

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:25 pm

Don't know the song, never seen the bars or restaurants.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:00 am

jonesthecurl wrote:Don't know the song, never seen the bars or restaurants.

You're a cultural orphan. Need to do some appropriation. :D
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:01 pm

You are my Sunshine... a song about a jilted lover, often sung in a sunny way.

The original:

The modern version (notice the lyrics changed):
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:04 pm

Semi charmed kind of life is actually pretty dark
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Ok, so some stuff goes over your head?

No not here anyway. He never said they were forced.

Whoosh
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby KoolBak on Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:14 pm

Just a song. And a party.

Been to see Buffett concerts probly 6 times. They are unilaterally the happiest concerts I've ever been to. Drunkest too.

Thinking too hard dude
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal KoolBak

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:09 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:Don't know the song, never seen the bars or restaurants.

I will SAY IT: If you do not know Margaritaville, then you are OUT of it. :D :lol:

EVEN I KNOW that song and I am usually one of the LAST to know, especially when it comes to "popular" culture of today. And memes and videos of today: NOT Funny, at least the ones my students showed me. They are about as intelligent and funny as BEEVIS and BUTThead....NOT..!

(What follows is an AD, btw.)

JP4Fun

Major jusplay4fun

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:55 pm

I know Rick Parker, the artist on the comic-book for a while. His kid went to school with mine. Never a fan of that, but I'm hugely looking forward to his graphic novel describing his time in the Army, which I've seen a few pages of.

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:46 am

Never a fan of going to school?

Might be a misplaced modifier somewhere.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby KoolBak on Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:55 am

:lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal KoolBak

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:23 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Never a fan of going to school?

Might be a misplaced modifier somewhere.

Not what I meant, but I did hate school.

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,