Conquer Club

What is your ethnicity?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Ethnicity?

Total votes : 0

Postby jiminski on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 am

Guiscard wrote:
btownmeggy wrote:Who here supposes that they're not a mix of at least two or more of the poll options?

And I don't mean... way back... but within the past 1000 years or so since these definitions have had ANY anthropological meaning whatsoever.

Even just one filament of my lineage, that of my ancestors who undoubtedly considered themselves pure Spaniards, includes those categories which Norse calls Caucasian, Black, Arabic, Jewish, and Native North America.

Actually I can't see that I am in any meaningful way whatsoever... I've gone back to about 1400 and before that both branches of the family were pretty much working in the same village in agriculture, as they would have been most likely for hundreds of years. Before that? I'd warrant a guess at Saxon due to the part of the country.

I'd put a fiver on you being a mix Guiscard .. we live in a mongrel nation....
Even with the most scrutinous genealogy you can never allow for 'family secrets'
Women have always rogered the handsome tall dark fella who's traveling through and married the village idiot; telling him the baby was 8 months premature and that they had taken to eating extra turnips for a few months before the birth.
It makes sense for the betterment of the gene pool.
Sergeant jiminski

Postby Norse on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:44 am

As excellent as a post that was jim, I fear that in guissys case, he is 100% village idiot.
b.k. barunt wrote:Snorri's like one of those fufu dogs who get all excited and dance around pissing on themself.

suggs wrote:scared off by all the pervs and wankers already? No? Then let me introduce myself, I'm Mr Pervy Wank.
Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby KiwiTaker on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:48 am

Hmm 6th generation white settler originally from England, Wales and Czechoslovakia on my mothers side. Scottish and Irish on my fathers side.
Vintage Mythology
Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori
Sergeant KiwiTaker

Postby Guiscard on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:52 am

jiminski wrote:
Guiscard wrote:
btownmeggy wrote:Who here supposes that they're not a mix of at least two or more of the poll options?

And I don't mean... way back... but within the past 1000 years or so since these definitions have had ANY anthropological meaning whatsoever.

Even just one filament of my lineage, that of my ancestors who undoubtedly considered themselves pure Spaniards, includes those categories which Norse calls Caucasian, Black, Arabic, Jewish, and Native North America.

Actually I can't see that I am in any meaningful way whatsoever... I've gone back to about 1400 and before that both branches of the family were pretty much working in the same village in agriculture, as they would have been most likely for hundreds of years. Before that? I'd warrant a guess at Saxon due to the part of the country.

I'd put a fiver on you being a mix Guiscard .. we live in a mongrel nation....
Even with the most scrutinous genealogy you can never allow for 'family secrets'
Women have always rogered the handsome tall dark fella who's traveling through and married the village idiot; telling him the baby was 8 months premature and that they had taken to eating extra turnips for a few months before the birth.
It makes sense for the betterment of the gene pool.

Oh yeh. I'm not saying I'm a 100% pure Saxon, just that I'd be fairly certain that it was fairly negligible. with my direct ancestors, at least in the last 500 years. Its been pretty much on one side just the same family living in a village of about eight families in Buckinghamshire, all marrying between themselves. Other side pretty much the same thing but up North. No dodgy birth certificates, no late marriages... Census info all adds up. I've done a fair bit of investigation into both villages and there's nothing interesting there at all. Just your regular incest really. Would much rather have something interesting there, but still...
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby CrazyAnglican on Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:23 pm

Norse wrote:
CrazyAnglican wrote:
Norse wrote: Cmon, convert. We could be buddies, and dress up in viking gear and go and pillage small villages. A bit of looting,

We could be buddies anyway, you're not going to hold clan affiliation against me are ya'? :shock:

Hmmm. If I were not to hold it against you, then I would be seen to be loosening up on my tough xenophobic line, and the repercussions of such an act would be dreadful.

You're either with me, or agin me. :lol:

:lol: I'll have to settle for alongside you until you raid my village. :wink:

But I see what you mean "word getting out that a viking has gone soft" and all that.
Corporal CrazyAnglican

Postby btownmeggy on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:54 pm

jiminski wrote:I'd put a fiver on you being a mix Guiscard .. we live in a mongrel nation....

Like... even the most controlled forms of reproduction are touched by miscegenation.

Let's take a look at Charlotte, the United Kingdom's mulata Queen.

Her Portuguese ancestors, circa 1400 or so, included *gasp* a negress!
Corporal btownmeggy

Postby Tyr on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:21 pm

not al white people are caucasian
most people who want to share their veiws with you dont want you to share yours with them
Cadet Tyr

Postby wicked on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:24 pm

Where is Hispanic?
Major wicked

Postby Anarkistsdream on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:25 pm

wicked wrote:Where is Hispanic?

Oh, BURN, Norse... You forgot one of the largest minorities!
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:28 pm

thats not a race the correct word is latino. The U.S government made up that word
Last edited by 0ojakeo0 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hecter wrote:Hey... If your donkey eats my roosters feet, that means I have two feet of my cock in your ass.
Sergeant 0ojakeo0

Postby got tonkaed on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:29 pm

0ojakeo0 wrote:
thats not a race

i do believe it could be charctericized as an ethnicity.

which i believe is the question that norse poses.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:30 pm

got tonkaed wrote:
0ojakeo0 wrote:
thats not a race

The correct word is latino i believe b/c the U.S government made up that word to group people together
hecter wrote:Hey... If your donkey eats my roosters feet, that means I have two feet of my cock in your ass.
Sergeant 0ojakeo0

Postby Tyr on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:30 pm

caucasians are specifically non-turkic speaking light skinned people inhabiting some parts of europe, middle east, and north africa.

a better difinition of european ethinicity would be germanic, slavic, basque or semites
most people who want to share their veiws with you dont want you to share yours with them
Cadet Tyr

Postby wicked on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:32 pm

0ojakeo0 wrote:
thats not a race the correct word is latino. The U.S government made up that word

And the US govt dictates the names of ethnicities now? wow. :roll:
And I don't think Spaniards are from Latin America (more like the other way around for some countries). But I suck at history, so who knows.
Major wicked

Postby got tonkaed on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:32 pm

0ojakeo0 wrote:
got tonkaed wrote:
0ojakeo0 wrote:
thats not a race

The correct word is latino i believe b/c the U.S government made up that word to group people together

no there is actually a difference. although i dont normally recommend this, wikipedia it. You can probably find the difference between latinos and hispanics with a couple seconds of searching.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:34 pm

wicked wrote:
0ojakeo0 wrote:

And the US govt dictates the names of ethnicities now? wow. :roll:
And I don't think Spaniards are from Latin America (more like the other way around for some countries). But I suck at history, so who knows.
when you said hispanic you meant people from central america and the caribean right? Anyways i dunno im probaly wrong.
Sergeant 0ojakeo0

Postby got tonkaed on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:36 pm

jake.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic

if you go down to the synonyms and antonyms section, you can see where the trickness arises.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby wicked on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:37 pm

Yes Hispanic is a bit vague. I was personally referring to Spaniards, not Latinos, but just the same, Hispanic would describe them all (I believe).
Major wicked

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:38 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latino_%28demonym%29 look at the map defined as latin america. Im saying people from there ar called latino, which is short for latinoamerico.
Sergeant 0ojakeo0

Postby got tonkaed on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:40 pm

0ojakeo0 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latino_%28demonym%29 look at the map defined as latin america. Im saying people from there ar called latino, which is short for latinoamerico.

this is true, but if you actually talk to people from there (and ill admit i didnt, but a video in my spanish class way back in the day did for me) a lot of the people refer to themselves as hispanic....its an identification issue, not everyone can be lumped into one.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:42 pm

got tonkaed wrote:
0ojakeo0 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latino_%28demonym%29 look at the map defined as latin america. Im saying people from there ar called latino, which is short for latinoamerico.

this is true, but if you actually talk to people from there (and ill admit i didnt, but a video in my spanish class way back in the day did for me) a lot of the people refer to themselves as hispanic....its an identification issue, not everyone can be lumped into one.
Im from a 80% latino town..... I go to a 90% latino school. Most of my friends are latino . I realize they call themselves hispanic but we have a new spanish teacher and he is trying to teach us the difference.
Sergeant 0ojakeo0

Postby wicked on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:42 pm

Do people from Brazil consider themselves Hispanics? They technically aren't by definition. Do they consider themselves Latinos? I've always said my background is Hispanic (i.e. from Spain), but people usually assume that to mean from South America.
Major wicked

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:43 pm

wicked wrote:Do people from Brazil consider themselves Hispanics? They technically aren't by definition. Do they consider themselves Latinos? I've always said my background is Hispanic (i.e. from Spain), but people usually assume that to mean from South America.
I thought people from brazil spoke portugeese
Sergeant 0ojakeo0

Postby Bartoli on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:44 pm

what to think about this poll??

to clear up a bit; there is a enormous difference between race and ethnicity. race is an outdated concept from the old days when people believed humans were seperatable in different races, simply based on skin colour.
ethnicity is a common group to which people believe to belong, based on ancestry, common cultural treads, common spaces, etcetera.

the question mixes this one up; caucasian is a north-american concept, based upon skincolour more than anything else... so why is that one in it. and me, as a european, or whatsoever; which one to choose for me then?

well

i'm just an complaining social scientist, i guess :roll:
Colonel Bartoli

Postby muy_thaiguy on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:45 pm

Doesn't "Hispanic" usually refer to people who speak Spanish as a native toungue? If that's the case, Brazil doesn't really count, with Portugese being the language there.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,