Conquer Club

Double Turns and Freestyle Turn Holding

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Run out of time in freestyle-double games.

Postby Koganosi on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:42 am

obliterationX wrote:Makes it more strategic. Know how freestyle works before you join any games, that's what I say.

Double turning isn't strategy. It is more ur lack of strategy, winning by it I think is the lowest you can do. Double turn to win a game. I think it is severe abuse. I dont see how it can ruin the site if double turns aint are possible anymore. It is just a lack of skill if u need it to win.

Urs

Koganosi.
Major Koganosi

Postby Artimis on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:46 pm

obliterationX wrote:Makes it more strategic. Know how freestyle works before you join any games, that's what I say.

If double turns are so cool and such good strategy, then answer me this: Why was a turn delay implemented for the player that ends the round in a freestyle game in the first place?
==================================================
This post was sponsored by Far-Q Industries.

Far-Q Industries: Telling you where to go since 2008.
Captain Artimis

Postby Koganosi on Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:26 am

Artimis wrote:

If double turns are so cool and such good strategy, then answer me this: Why was a turn delay implemented for the player that ends the round in a freestyle game in the first place?

They dont dare to answer it XD.

Bump

Urs

Koganosi,
Major Koganosi

Postby ManBungalow on Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:07 am

Strategic farming really.

It sucks the fun out of any freestyle game to have effects such as the ones described here...

This thread would go quite well with my suggestion that your turn automatically ends after 10 minutes of inactivity (Clicky). This would mean that the freestyle abuser would have to wait around almost an hour moving 1 troop back and forwards (or have a robot do something).
Colonel ManBungalow

Eliminate Freestyle Double Turns

Postby banana_hammocks on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:01 am

Concise description:
  • Eliminate Freestyle Double Turns by Eliminating the time out bug.

Specifics:
  • Make starting your go count as taking your turn, in freestyle, even if you time out.
    At present if you start your go within the last hour of the game, make your moves, then let your time run out, it doesn't count as you taking your turn, and so you can start playing immediately after the start of the next round.

By doing so you can play last, take all the objectives/bonuses in the last 5 minutes, without anyone being able to stop you then start first without anyone else having a go in between. This is being exploited by numerous members of the site (including King_Herpes on the City Mogul map (this is not a criticism against him as he is just exploiting a weakness of the site for his benefit and to the detriment of other players). Surely the players should have at least a chance of reacting.

My suggestion is simple. All the changes to be made is that if you time out mid go, it should still count as you taking your go.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Will make freestyle fairer and actually playable
  • Removes the main criticism of freestyle play and the issue that drives players away from freestyle.
  • Gives players a chance to react.

One example of the case i put is in this spoiler, where the loser had 1 seconds chance to deploy and take out the objective (that is if they were online at exactly when the turn ended):
show

Organizer of Quick and Simple Tournament 1,2,3, Friends Close, Enemies Closer Tournament 1+2, CCC Tournament,All Holds Bar
Captain banana_hammocks

Re: Eliminate Freestyle Double Turns

Postby Joodoo on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:46 am

so even if a player runs out of time, he/she has to wait for another player to begin turn before he/she can begin turn the next round?
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby ManBungalow on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:01 am

If you don't like freestyle, you don't have to play it. As much as I would like something like this to happen, I don't think it will.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby banana_hammocks on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:21 am

Joodoo wrote:so even if a player runs out of time, he/she has to wait for another player to begin turn before he/she can begin turn the next round?

Yes, or at least another player to start their turn (not necessarily finish).

ManBungalow wrote:If you don't like freestyle, you don't have to play it. As much as I would like something like this to happen, I don't think it will.

I don't think this argument is valid. It is not a question of preferences. It is a question of making something better.

This is like saying "if some people are using drugs in sport, let them...just don't play football."

Organizer of Quick and Simple Tournament 1,2,3, Friends Close, Enemies Closer Tournament 1+2, CCC Tournament,All Holds Bar
Captain banana_hammocks

Postby ManBungalow on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:14 am

banana_hammocks wrote:I don't think this argument is valid. It is not a question of preferences. It is a question of making something better.

This is like saying "if some people are using drugs in sport, let them...just don't play football."

In that case: learn to "abuse" it equally ! (Don't do drgus, kids)
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby redhawk92 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:22 am

freestyle is fine the way it is
Major redhawk92

Postby FredVIII on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:27 am

i think ive suggested this before but oh, well i definitely agree with this in freestyle casual, not for freestyle speed
Brigadier FredVIII

Location: if you call yourself something like the.killing.44, you are probably gay.

Postby Koganosi on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:31 am

I have suggested this before and much others. Probably they will just look over it again. This is the only thing I hate about freestyle but I just try to life with it now and try to be online if I see someone tries to double turn me.

Urs

Koganosi,
Major Koganosi

Postby cicero on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:33 am

Merge post:
Eliminate Freestyle Double Turns - posts 8 May 2008 to 14 January 2009 - first post here
Run out of time in freestyle-double games - posts from 8 to 28 February 2009 - first post here
Eliminate Freestyle Double Turns - posts 11 April 2009 - first post here

Please remember to use the 'search' box (it's next to the 'new topic' button) to see if there are existing discussions on a particular suggestion. That way, if you find an existing discussion, you can join in and also see any useful posts - both for and against - that might influence your own thinking. It also helps to keep the forum tidy ;)

Cicero :)
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby demonfork on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:33 pm

It's only technically a double turn if team 2 is not present to take their turn(s) as well when the clock flips.

Should it really be team 1's fault if team 2 decides to not show up to take their turn too?

It's not difficult to figure out when an opponent is going to attempt to take a "double turn", if you suspect that they are, show up and take your turn too, that's what I do. If you can't make it then you lack the dedication that it takes to be a good freestyle player and you should probably just stick to sequential.
Sergeant 1st Class demonfork

Postby banana_hammocks on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:52 pm

demonfork wrote:It's only technically a double turn if team 2 is not present to take their turn(s) as well when the clock flips.

Should it really be team 1's fault if team 2 decides to not show up to take their turn too?

It's not difficult to figure out when an opponent is going to attempt to take a "double turn", if you suspect that they are, show up and take your turn too, that's what I do. If you can't make it then you lack the dedication that it takes to be a good freestyle player and you should probably just stick to sequential.

I'd love to see you try to break a bonus within 1 second of the previous round ending. It doesn't matter if you are there or not, there is no way you can do it.

Captain banana_hammocks

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:40 pm

I'd love to see you try to break a bonus within 1 second of the previous round ending. It doesn't matter if you are there or not, there is no way you can do it.[/quote]

Incorrect. I have seen it done many times in speed fs doubles, etc. 1 second is rare, but 2 is really easy. If you are playing vs someone without CM they can kiss that bonus good bye.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby FredVIII on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:46 pm

Bruceswar wrote:Incorrect. I have seen it done many times in speed fs doubles, etc. 1 second is rare, but 2 is really easy. If you are playing vs someone without CM they can kiss that bonus good bye.

the fact still remains that you can take a bonus (or even the middle in mogul/oasis) and dont need to protect it because you can begin your turn straight away next round
Last edited by FredVIII on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brigadier FredVIII

Location: if you call yourself something like the.killing.44, you are probably gay.

Postby sully800 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:42 pm

This suggestion should definitely be implemented. The whole point of the time delay after ending a turn in freestyle was to make things more fair (and that was before Clickies and Objectives which seem to be the two biggest problems).

I believe the turn timing out logically should have been included as a form of ending your turn, and it was missed. And if it wasn't originally intended, then Objective maps clearly show that this is a problem that needs to be fixed. It's simple and will solve a lot of the abuse for points in freestyle.
Major sully800

Postby karelpietertje on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:11 pm

sully800 wrote:I believe the turn timing out logically should have been included as a form of ending your turn.

just a question: could anybody tell me what will happen when 2 people run out of time at the same time?
because if it will be like sully800 here states, wouldn't the Red player be in advantage (just like the Red player has a disadvantage when it comes to deadbeating in the same round as others)?
has anybody thought this through?

kp
Major karelpietertje

Postby Artimis on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:01 am

Can we have some admin/programmer input here, please? Just how difficult would it be to code in a switch to indicate turn activation and then treat a timeout in freestyle as ending a turn?
==================================================
This post was sponsored by Far-Q Industries.

Far-Q Industries: Telling you where to go since 2008.
Captain Artimis

Postby banana_hammocks on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:31 am

karelpietertje wrote:
sully800 wrote:I believe the turn timing out logically should have been included as a form of ending your turn.

just a question: could anybody tell me what will happen when 2 people run out of time at the same time?
because if it will be like sully800 here states, wouldn't the Red player be in advantage (just like the Red player has a disadvantage when it comes to deadbeating in the same round as others)?
has anybody thought this through?

kp

Hmmm this is interesting i hadn't thought about this...If all players time out then i guess it will disadvantage the last player, for the same reason that it disadvantages the first player in deadbeatings.

This is because i think the game will see it as: (3 player example)
first red times out - ends his go
then: green times out
then: blue times out

so blue ended his go last....and so can't start the next round.

I feel this shouldn't be too much of a problem. It would be more of a problem if it meant that none of the 3 could start their go. (this would have to be checked out.

Captain banana_hammocks

Postby cramill on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:19 am

I think I suggested before: that if multiple people miss ending their turn they are all locked out. (For example a 4 player game - 2 players miss ending their turn and the round timer expires - both players who timed out would have to wait until someone else takes their turn to go, or until half the round goes by.) If everyone who is in the game miss ending their turn, they would all be locked out, but it shouldn't be hard to add something to check if everyone is locked out and if so, let everyone be able to go at the start of the next round.

Make sense?
Corporal 1st Class cramill

Postby FredVIII on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:28 am

cramill wrote:I think I suggested before: that if multiple people miss ending their turn they are all locked out. (For example a 4 player game - 2 players miss ending their turn and the round timer expires - both players who timed out would have to wait until someone else takes their turn to go, or until half the round goes by.) If everyone who is in the game miss ending their turn, they would all be locked out, but it shouldn't be hard to add something to check if everyone is locked out and if so, let everyone be able to go at the start of the next round.

Make sense?

yes. i was about to write the same thing.
Brigadier FredVIII

Postby Timminz on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:40 am

I had never really thought of it before (since I don't play freestyle), but the addition of objectives has really emphasized one of the problems with freestyle. Even if this particular suggestion were implemented, the exploit would still be there. As long as someone can click "begin turn", as soon as another player starts, they'll still be using the same trick. It would just be slightly more time consuming.
Captain Timminz

Postby FredVIII on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:47 am

Timminz wrote:I had never really thought of it before (since I don't play freestyle), but the addition of objectives has really emphasized one of the problems with freestyle. Even if this particular suggestion were implemented, the exploit would still be there. As long as someone can click "begin turn", as soon as another player starts, they'll still be using the same trick. It would just be slightly more time consuming.

guess how almost every casual freestyle city mogul and oasis games are won.
Brigadier FredVIII

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions