Conquer Club

Wheel of Time Map | WOT | Tar Valon etc.

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: W.O.T. Map

Postby oaktown on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:31 am

The right to reproduce and display pieces of artwork is controlled by the original author or artist. Fan art using settings and characters from a previously created work would be considered a derivative work, which would place control of the copyright with the owner of the original work. Display and distribution of fan art that would be considered a derivative work would be unlawful.

American copyright law allows for the production, display and distribution of derivative works if they fall under a fair use exemption; fair use exemptions are often extended to educational uses, private noncommercial uses, and parody. In the case of ConquerClub (a privately owned, commercial web site) the use of somebody's original artwork or derivatives of that work would NOT be considered fair use since CC would gain financially from its use.

In other words, you'd need to secure the permission of the original artist or lack will get sued.
Captain oaktown

Postby kamahl on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:13 am

Branden Sanderson gave a blanket acceptance of fan art, under the conditions that he was not sued if he or any of his team were ton't going to be sued over the work of fan art. If you want, I'll dig up the terms?
Cook kamahl

Postby ustus on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Kamahl - why don't you go ahead and at least post a link to here for that... I'm still waiting for an answer to one more question: who is it that's actually making this map? I probably know enough about the world of the Wheel of Time, but i don't have any real knowledge about how to make a map. And i don't really see myself devoting that much time to it. If no one else is gonna make it, i'll do it and have fun doing it, but i'm sure there's someone here who would do a better job of it...
Corporal ustus

Wheel of Time

Postby Troyer IV on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:37 pm

Space Saver because I've lost about 3000 words on this twice now.

Basically, this idea is from a fantasy series written by Robert Jordan. Featured within is a continent with 3 major mountain ranges, a few large rivers (two of which are way important), and something like 12 countries spread across about 8 regions.

I figured this would be a pretty good Risk map:

Reference: http://www.wotmud.org/directory/maps.php

6-8 Regions, debatable boundaries and natural borders, etc.

1: The Blight
2: Aiel Wastes
3: Borderlands
4: Interior
5: West Coast (Seanchan)
6: South Coast
7: Sea Folk

I'll come back and revise this later before I lose all my stuff again.
Lieutenant Troyer IV

Re: Wheel of Time

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:54 pm

This may be a useful read.
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Gypsys Kiss on Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:37 am

kamahl wrote:Branden Sanderson gave a blanket acceptance of fan art, under the conditions that he was not sued if he or any of his team were ton't going to be sued over the work of fan art. If you want, I'll dig up the terms?

Might be wise......but why would Brandon have any say over the Wheel of Time copyright? He has only been employed by Harriet to finish the series.
Sergeant Gypsys Kiss

Postby Troyer IV on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:17 am

I had actually planned on posting on this as well, though I have no idea about Copyrights and whatnot.

I'll post more later on what I had thought of for the map. It's on my home PC and I'm at school right now.
Lieutenant Troyer IV

Postby Troyer IV on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:17 pm

Risk-esque Map Proposal for Conquer Club consideration

The Wheel of Time
Epic Heroic Fantasy series
Written by the Late Robert Jordan

For the benefit of the game, I will ignore all aspects of the story and keep it as simple as possible in terms of geographical regions and alignments.

In the W.o.T., there are 3 main continents. One, the continent of Seanchan is across a vast ocean and is split by mountain ranges, inland seas, and is just all 'round odd-looking. The second is termed the Land of the Madmen and very little is known of its interior other than its bizarre, blood-thirsty inhabitants. It's location near the southern pole counts for much of the land covered in ice, and what is not is split with volcanoes and other heavy seismic activity.

The third, and most important continent is that which the story is based. It is split into three main regions, or subcontinents. In the far east is the land of Shara, a vast and mysterious realm which has closed itself off to the outside world. Some suggest this is to control its masses through disinformation, while others argue it is to protect the Shara peoples from outside influences and danger. It has a vast shoreline along it's eastern and southern borders; the north is bordered by the Blight (more info later) and the western frontier is dominated by a mountain range and a vast rift in the earth.

Across this vast rift and series of peaks is a desert land called the Aiel Wastes, named after its inhabitants, the Aiel. These hardy desert dwellers find the Wastes a test, a punishment, and a blessing, making them strong by culling the weak. (Thirteen tribes of Aiel populate the scattered holds of the Wastes, and the politics are... bewildering. They likely number in the millions, though the exact numbers are known only to the Clan Chiefs and Wise Women.) The Wastes are not quite as vast as the lands of Shara, though, and are far less hospitable. There are no fresh water sources which cannot be stepped across, and all access to the southern ocean is blocked by a region called the Termool, where even Aiel do not venture it is so bleak. The north borders the Blight, and the western border is dominated by the Spine of the World, a.k.a. a mountain range called the Dragonwall.

Through the Dragonwall are three main passes into what the Aiel call the "wetlands" (and what W.o.T. enthusiasts call 'Randland' after the protagonists--the continent is never named in the stories). The Wetlands (or Randland--the name is interchangable) covers a region roughly twice the size of the Wastes and is home to a dozen nations and great swathes of unclaimed territory.

For the Conquer Club, I will make the following quite brief.

The North is historically the land of the Dark One, a realm of evil, called the Blight. Inside the Blight are the Mountains of Dhoom, and beyond these is the valley of Shayol Ghul, the 'capital' of the Shadow and home of the Dark One through the Bore (a hole in reality).

South of the Blight is the Borderlands (historically allied against the Blight). West to east is Saldaea, Kandor, Arafel, and Sheinar. Formerly, a 5th Borderland lent its lances to the war against the Shadow, but fell due to internal treachery. This 5th is called Malkier and resides roughly where Tarwin's Gap exists today.

South of the Borderlands is an empty territory dominated in the west by the Black Hills and the scattered hamlet owing allegiance to no king, and in the east the city-state of Tar Valon. Tar Valon is a Papacy-esque organization which rules no lands except that of its own island (in the middle of the River Erinin) and it's bridgetowns. Further south is the Caralain Grass and the beginnings of Braem Wood.

South of this hinterland is the Interior, of which Andor, Cairhien, and other nations call home. Between the Dragonwall in the east and the Mountains of Mist in the West there are numerous nations and other areas of little influence. Of these nations, Murandy is little more than a patchwork of feuding princes, as is Altara which lies further west. Neighboring Altara is Ghealdean, protected by Garen's Wall, a cliff face which runs for some leagues.

The Southern Coast is home to (west to east) Altara, Illian, the Plains of Maredo (a fallen nation), Tear, and Tear's rival, the city-state of Mayene. These ports are home to fleets of merchant ships and rival navies.

The West Coast is separated from the greater inlands by the Mountains of Mist. From north to south are the nations of Arad Doman, Almoth Plain (fallen nation), Toman's Head (non-nation), Tarabon, and the Shadow Coast (non-nation). In the story, these lands south of Arad Doman are conquered by the Seanchan (those inhabitants of the continent across the waves) all the way to the doorstep of Illian. Amadacia is not part of the south or west coastal regions, but it does serve as a crossroads. Amadacia's placement is debatable.

Off the coasts, both west and south, are the Islands of the Sea Folk, or the Atha'an Miere, as they call themselves. Along the west coast from north to south are Aile Dashar (nw of Bandar Eban), Aile Somera (west of Falme), Aile Jafar (west of Tanchico), Tremalking, and east from there is Qaim, further Isles to the South never listed or named, and Cindaking off the coast of Mayene.

Each of these regions split by paragraph ought to be a colored, bonus-oriented region in a potential Conquer Club map game. I will work on a basic form using the almighty Paint when I have more time. For any suggestions or criticism, please comment!
Lieutenant Troyer IV

Postby ustus on Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:09 pm

suggestions and criticism: don't use paint. I want this map to succeed. Paint will vastly limit your options. vastly.

other than that... where did you get all that info about shara, sheanchan, and the land of madmen???? i read all the books, and that deff fits, but i haven't seen it anywhere, so i guess my collection is incomplete :( where can i find the stories of\in these lands?
Corporal ustus

Postby ustus on Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:14 pm

ya, he posted there too... I'm behind you all the way, if there's any way i can help, i've considered doing this one myself.
Corporal ustus

Postby captainwalrus on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:52 am

Use GIMP, or at the very least Paint.net. Both are free and easy to use.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby quar on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:08 pm

i love this series so go you good thing
Cadet quar

Postby Troyer IV on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:44 pm

ustus wrote:suggestions and criticism: don't use paint. I want this map to succeed. Paint will vastly limit your options. vastly.

other than that... where did you get all that info about shara, sheanchan, and the land of madmen???? i read all the books, and that deff fits, but i haven't seen it anywhere, so i guess my collection is incomplete :( where can i find the stories of\in these lands?

Teehee, I feel special. Shara, Seanchan, and the Land of the Madmen (and a whole plethora of other things such as the Age of Legends, the Forsaken/Chosen occupation during the War of Shadow, etc) can be found in "The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time." It's like an encyclopedia of someone within his world writing with the information available to an enterprising historian. There are plenty of gaps missing, but Robert Jordan (co-writing it, of course) didn't let too much get out on the ending of his series, but did fill in some holes.

You can see it here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=QnE17c4l6U4C&dq=The+World+of+Robert+Jordan%27s+The+Wheel+of+Time&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=rPCuSr_EPJXTlAet37jmBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5#v=onepage&q=&f=false

captainwalrus wrote:Use GIMP, or at the very least Paint.net. Both are free and easy to use.

I don't even know what GIMP is. I'm pretty much technologically impaired. Which is why I took a map (from the aforementioned book) and, using a projector, blew it up onto a poster board and traced it out by hand. I just finished it today, actually, and all I have left to do is decide on the balancing and borders and how much of which are worth what... if you follow my meaning.

Looks friggin' awesome, if I do say so myself.
Lieutenant Troyer IV

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:20 pm

Sounds interesting. It sounds like you could just about split it into 3 different maps so we could get the feel of it?
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Troyer IV on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:48 am

There's so little known of the lands outside of the Randland, that using Seanchan, Shara, or even the Aiel wastes would be all but useless. Just my opinion, though.

Now, I did find a Randland map for Risk the video game, at least I think so. I found one a long time ago for a free gamesite like CC, but I can no longer remember where it was. Indeed, I just stumbled on it. But here (http://risk.sourceforge.net/getmaps.shtml) is a link to one (it's towards the bottom of the page).

I don't know how to look at it, though, as I don't have the game/programs to load it properly.
Lieutenant Troyer IV

Postby MrMoody on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:35 pm

seeing this makes me want to go back and read it again from book #1. Would love to play this map but I'm not sure it could be made.
Major MrMoody

Postby Gypsys Kiss on Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:10 pm

MrMoody wrote:seeing this makes me want to go back and read it again from book #1. Would love to play this map but I'm not sure it could be made.

Managed to get the whole lot on audio and just spent the last few weeks listening to them........made work fly by :D
Sergeant Gypsys Kiss

Postby captainwalrus on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:09 pm

Ok, so is anyone going to actually make this? Has anyone steped forward and volenteered?
Does anyone know if it is ok with copyright laws?
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby neanderpaul14 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:37 pm

Less then 3 weeks now until book 12 is released. I truly hope the replacement writer does Mr. Jordan's epic series justice.
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby Alec0124 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Here's a collage of the 14 countries based from http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/A_beginning

Cook Alec0124

Postby Alec0124 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:53 pm

Theres another topic about making a wheel of time map, though i fear it hasnt gotten much further
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=76131&p=2248574#p2248574
Cook Alec0124

wheel of time map

Postby thaleri on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:22 am

!
Cadet thaleri

Re: wheel of time map

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:57 am

copyright!
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: wheel of time map

Postby ustus on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:40 am

Somebody was saying in the other thread that they'd gotten permission, or that there was some fan art issue. I don't know exactly what the technicalities were, but to summarize they thought they'd be allowed to do it. Then the thread trailed off and I don't know why. But ya, this is the third such thread I've seen, and as a huge Wheel of Time fan I'd love to see the map (I'm this close to doing it myself, but i'm sure I don't have the time...)
Corporal ustus

Wheel of Time

Postby jd94 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:37 am

Im new, and i dont know how to make a map, but id like to see a wheel of time map. HEres a pic from the book: http://www.wotmud.org/directory/maps/p18.jpg
Corporal jd94

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas